1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hanging Heavy Mounts From Steel Studs

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Squirrler, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Squirrler

Squirrler New Member

I hope this is an ok part of the forum to ask this question--it's all about weight and structure. I figure lifesize mammals is usually the heaviest category of mount so you all might have the most experience.

I have a cape buffalo shoulder mount that is pretty old (lead ear liners, lots of plaster) and pretty heavy, and a lot of that weight is towards the front. The wall it's supposed to hang on is a light-weight partition wall made of steel studs and sheet rock with a suspended ceiling. I've never hung something so heavy from steel studs and am worried: Maybe the steel studs can't take the weight of the mount and will twist or bend; maybe they can't hold screws; maybe they aren't wide enough to hold a big enough toggle bolt without ripping. I am considering trying to attach a solid wood panel across three of the studs (I'm not sure what fasteners to use) then toggle bolting through that panel to hang the mount with a traditional key-hole hook, as well as a figure 8 ring that could be screwed to the back of the mount then screwed to the wall after it was hung. I'd love to hear others experiences with steel studs and heavy mounts on precarious walls.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I hung this across 3 steel studs (commercial grade studs and 5/8"sheetrock)
    Made a cleat out of a 2x.. Ripped the 2x6 down the middle with a steep angle to the cut.
    Bolted one half to the wall using 3 heavy toggle bolts (make sure to hit the stud centered)
    The other half of the 2x got recessed into the wood pedestal (I'm sure you can do something similar to the back of the mount)
    Resized_20190523_145730.jpeg