1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Is Taxidermy On A Blue Jay Illegal?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Beginnerbirder07, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Beginnerbirder07

Beginnerbirder07 New Member

Hello! To start off I am an Ohio resident. I recently took an ornithology lecture where we learned and did a taxidermy on a European Starling (It's on a stick and not positioned/mounted). I recently found a Blue Jay dead in the lawn and wanted to taxidermy it the same way to not only improve my skill but to have it for myself. I have searched online for forever and can't find anything about the legalities of this since I'm not selling it. Please help!

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nope

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Absolutely no, and there is a chance it died from West Nile. Bury it with a shovel, then bury the shovel.

msestak likes this.
  4. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

European starlings, European sparrows, collared dove, feral pigeons (birds not native to North America) are not restricted at all. All native song birds, however, (including Blue Jays) are protected by state and federal laws as are all raptors (owls, hawks, eagles, etc). They may not be killed, nor may their bodies, or body parts be held in possession without a special permit. Which means, no, they may not be mounted for taxidermy purposes, even if you found it already dead.

5. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    a person is not even allowed to have a blue jay feather in their possession!!

Beginnerbirder07 and 3bears like this.
  6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    To clarify my answer, as Mike said, you are not allowed to posses any part of a blue jay except maybe the turd they drop on your car and with the absurdity of some of these laws maybe not even that.

Beginnerbirder07 and msestak like this.
  7. Beginnerbirder07

Beginnerbirder07 New Member

Thank you all for the help, I was only confused because all of what I saw only talked about if the bird was being sold. I will be sure to dispose of it immediately.

msestak likes this.