I used to raise rabbits and tanned plenty of their hides. I would put them in a large tote and have plenty of room. I started raising sheep and figured I'd not have any problem but I do. I only tanned one at a time. They are full grown sheep. When I started the pickling process I made sure the pH was just right, placed the pelt in the tote with 6 gal of water, enough to cover it and try to expose as much of the flesh to the acid as possible. The next day i checked the pH and it of but when I went to add more acid I found I didn't have the room to add acid and stir it in because the pelt was so large. I took the pelt out, put the acid in and got the right pH then put the pelt back in. Next day the pH was off again. I tried this for 5 days and the pickling never did the job because I could never keep the pH where it was supposed to be. I think the problem is because of the container. What do you all use when you are taking large pelts? Have you run into this problem before? How'd you handle it? Edit: I used Rittles tanning solution btw.