1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trying To Figure Out How To Sell Taxidermy Mounts... Input Please?

Discussion in 'Buyers and Sellers' started by MountsForSale.com, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. Depends on the species...

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I have started a business and am trying to connect with people who will buy mounts for display that they have not personally harvested... Not sure how to go about getting my page in front of customers. Do any of you have experience that you'd share as to how you are selling mounts to stores, motels, bars, offices, etc??? I have a good inventory and selection available, but needing to get my items visible to the right sets of eyes... I would appreciate input on my site. Does it communicate? is it easy to navigate? is it helpful?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

This practice is likely going to break your heart. FIRST off, only the big chains display taxidermy work. That's places like Cabelas, Bass Pro, Longhorn Steakhouse, Texas Roadhouse, etc. These chains have a staff of taxidermists and OR buyers out there looking to pick up mounts for next to nothing. TWO: There are LOTS of places to find good mounts next to nothing. Widows are notorious for dumping the old man's trophies on the sidewalk or selling them in yard sales. I used to get calls regularly from family members who were devastated when I told them that the mount their dad had bragged about paying hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for was worth nothing to me personally and I really had no venue to refer them to. They were sure they had a golden inheritance until I burst their bubble. And THIRD: Any local business who will buy them is likely to treat them as wall décor. You'll end up heartbroken to see a prized deer with a hat on it's head, bells around it's neck and I've seen them with a cigarette in their mouth. I've seen life-sized Kodiaks with a beer in their paw and a life-sized wild boar with a golf-ball stuck up it's butt.

And I'm sorry to have to tell you, but most of the mounts on your site are far overpriced and the quality simply isn't there. It's pretty evident that some are old mounts. But I'm a naysayer on many things and Barnum made a fortune, so what do I know.

3. Not to mention laws affiliated with the buying and selling of said mounts. Somes States and Countries are very strict and are just not worth the trouble.