1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Akeley Memorial Update

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 24, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

While traveling from Niagara Falls to Cooperstown. I decided to take a side trip over to the Hillside Cemetery in Clarendon and visit the Akeley memorial and take a few pictures of the pavers and the stone. I was in for a disappointment. The Cemetary has it's own unique awesomeness and is well kept but the Akeley plot doesn't enjoy that , it seems. No e of the pavers have been placed yet. I attempted to contact the curator but the call went unanswered. 20190622_091636.jpg

msestak likes this.
  2. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

George, I would certainly like to have a conversation with you. I have not been contacted (not sure who you were referring to) so I would appreciate you at least doing that before you publicly post something. As you can see there is new grass planted where the walk way was to go. Our cemetery care taker had a horrible accident last year and instead of putting the walk in, I chose to help maintain the entire cemetery and not do a rush job on a walk way.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

so only two people take care of an entire cemetery?

magicmick likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm at a disadvantage as you haven't identified yourself, but let me remind you that a monument is intended for a "moment in time". What I reported in this thread was my moment in time. I spent nearly an hour admiring the size and age of that cemetery. It was a magnificent resting place for what seemed to be thousands of people. I had driven over 600 miles before I got there and the only expectation was that a memorial I'd help fund early 2 years ago would have had, as a minimum, the same amount of attention as the grave plots around it. I'm obviously no rocket scientist, BUT if I was a taxidermist and lived close to Clarendon, even I could stop at Lowe's, buy some Quikrete, and set a box full of pavers around that lovely stone.

I'm sure the quaint little town of Clarendon has many things to be proud of and native sons/daughters who've made the town proud, but when a clodhopper from Delaware driving from Niagara Falls to Cooperstown, a side trip 50 miles out of the way was a requisite for a life-long taxidermist. The picture I posted was exactly what I saw and there was no sign telling me the caretaker wasn't working, the reflector had been set beside the stone so they could mow the grass, and that the "new" grass needed to be at least mowed like the rest of the cemetery. And so that you know, at my age, the likelihood of me ever returning to that spot are very scarce. Unless someone else visits after the caretaker recovers, the pavers are set and pictures taken, it's unlikely the image I saw will be removed from my memory.

5. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    George

Well said.

James Marsico and rogerswildlife like this.
  6. How about you out source the work ? or put on a casual handy man until the job is done :rolleyes:

7. That's absolutely ridiculous that those bricks aren't laid in yet! I think we were all scammed!! Well we gave with the right heart! So if all involved can sleep w/ their own conscience God bless them!! Im sure theres plenty of others in that little town that know how to lay pavers, It should've been done already, and George I think it was 2016 so actually 3yrs.

msestak likes this.
  8. CJ59

CJ59 New Member

There is no scam concerning the Akeley memorial! The monument was built as an act of love and respect from the taxidermy industry. The bricks are engraved and ready to be laid, which has to be coordinated between the cemetery and the Clarendon Historical Society. People should be careful about the words they use on social media.

9. 3YRS ? come on CJ59 PLENTY OF TIME MATE

msestak likes this.
  10. CJ59

CJ59 New Member

Magicmick, I am certainly not making any excuses. The Akeley Memorial is a testament to one of taxidermy’s icons, with the placement of a monument in a cemetery in his rural hometown. The Memorial WAS funded, produced and installed, and an unveiling with approximately 200 people in attendance took place, so how could it be a scam? It was so well received that there were excess funds, and the Clarendon Historical Society decided to produce the brick pavers with each patron’s name engraved in a brick. The bricks are prepared and engraved so, again, no scam. By perpetuating that myth in this instance, it sullies the memory and the intent of the memorial. That is my point. I do not know why the bricks have not yet been installed, but anyone who would like to know, instead of spreading mistruths on an open forum, should be proactive. Pick up the telephone or write a letter and voice your concerns to the Clarendon Historical Society. This was a project of love on behalf of the people who worked to make it happen. Unfortunately, these forums have a way of taking something good and denigrating it by individuals who have time to make a flip comment rather than take the time to find out the facts.

John C, drob and Joe Kish like this.
  11. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

The monument is up, if you were scammed there would be nothing there
    Stop being so ridiculous!

John C likes this.
  12. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

CJ59, don't forget that at least a third of this monument was paid for by private NON taxidermy people. They care just as much because without them we wouldn't have made it.

13. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

The whole point was the monument and the dozen or so pictures etched into the back of the stone. Did you mention that? No you just cried about your name on a brick. I think you missed the whole point. I am sorry that happened to you and I am quite sure you were given my phone number. I got a call from John Janelli that you would be calling and I never heard from you.

14. Fallenscale

NY
    I really don't think it matters where the money came from. I take it you took on the responsibility of this project and it hasn't been completed. Why are you questioning any people showing concern.

magicmick and msestak like this.
  15. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

I don't have a problem with people questioning why it wasn't done. What I DO have a problem with is people calling it a scam. It isn't it wasn't and if you need to be nasty about it then that would tend to upset just about anyone. You can hide behind your computer keyboard and say whatever you want. I don't care to ever associate with any taxidermy "professional" wha acts like a child calling names when they are upset about something. NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED and I have certainly learned not to do anything like this again. Thank You and have a nice day!

16. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

Actually ONE person does. Tax payers foot the bill for the maintenance of this cemetery. I work here on my own time for no pay. FYI

17. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    i dont have a dog in this fight but i will agree with George. the people at the Cemetery that took on the responsibility of completing the memorial should not have taken this long to do so.

if one person fell ill and is unable to do their part. simple task for a responsible person to find another qualified individual to complete the job.

thats all.

18. Where have mentioned scamed ?,
    Have YOU picked up the phone ?
    3 yrs is more than enough time to have the job completed, out source the job

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  19. CJ59

CJ59 New Member

Michelle B. called the project a scam. That is what I took exception to. FYI, since the date of George's initial post, the bricks have been installed.

msestak likes this.
  20. Fallenscale

NY
    That should of been said from the out set of Michelle B post. I hope someone post a picture of the finished memorial.

msestak likes this.