1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Akeley Memorial Update

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 24, 2019.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

While traveling from Niagara Falls to Cooperstown. I decided to take a side trip over to the Hillside Cemetery in Clarendon and visit the Akeley memorial and take a few pictures of the pavers and the stone. I was in for a disappointment. The Cemetary has it's own unique awesomeness and is well kept but the Akeley plot doesn't enjoy that , it seems. No e of the pavers have been placed yet. I attempted to contact the curator but the call went unanswered. 20190622_091636.jpg

msestak likes this.
  2. ierlan66

ierlan66 New Member

George, I would certainly like to have a conversation with you. I have not been contacted (not sure who you were referring to) so I would appreciate you at least doing that before you publicly post something. As you can see there is new grass planted where the walk way was to go. Our cemetery care taker had a horrible accident last year and instead of putting the walk in, I chose to help maintain the entire cemetery and not do a rush job on a walk way.

3. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

so only two people take care of an entire cemetery?

magicmick likes this.
  4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm at a disadvantage as you haven't identified yourself, but let me remind you that a monument is intended for a "moment in time". What I reported in this thread was my moment in time. I spent nearly an hour admiring the size and age of that cemetery. It was a magnificent resting place for what seemed to be thousands of people. I had driven over 600 miles before I got there and the only expectation was that a memorial I'd help fund early 2 years ago would have had, as a minimum, the same amount of attention as the grave plots around it. I'm obviously no rocket scientist, BUT if I was a taxidermist and lived close to Clarendon, even I could stop at Lowe's, buy some Quikrete, and set a box full of pavers around that lovely stone.

I'm sure the quaint little town of Clarendon has many things to be proud of and native sons/daughters who've made the town proud, but when a clodhopper from Delaware driving from Niagara Falls to Cooperstown, a side trip 50 miles out of the way was a requisite for a life-long taxidermist. The picture I posted was exactly what I saw and there was no sign telling me the caretaker wasn't working, the reflector had been set beside the stone so they could mow the grass, and that the "new" grass needed to be at least mowed like the rest of the cemetery. And so that you know, at my age, the likelihood of me ever returning to that spot are very scarce. Unless someone else visits after the caretaker recovers, the pavers are set and pictures taken, it's unlikely the image I saw will be removed from my memory.

5. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    George

Well said.

James Marsico and rogerswildlife like this.
  6. How about you out source the work ? or put on a casual handy man until the job is done :rolleyes: