1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Akeley Memorial Update

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Joe Kish

Joe Kish Active Member

Texas
    Mr. Fallenscale,
    Mr. Magicmick,
    Mr. Msestak,
    I presume you were all donors, but I can't guess from the donors list.

Incidentally, are you aware that those bricks were never planned as part of the original monument? The idea came about as an afterthought insofar as there were enough extra funds left over to cover the cost of the bricks. Someone in charge decided it would be a fine way to show appreciation to all those who pitched in with donations.

Furthermore, it took donations from non-taxidermists to reach the monetary goals. This so-called 'industry' did not support this memorial project as a class of practitioners. Can anyone show me an ad from a taxidermy magazine or state association newsletter that ran a single plug for this project during its fundraising period? (I hope I'm wrong.) If just the Akeley Award winners from all the state and national competitions had pitched in a few bucks there would have been enough bricks to surround the monument perhaps three or four feet wide.

I'd like to say more on this subject, and may yet, but for now just take a gander at the names of all who answered the call to honor one of taxidermy's greatest men with the only outdoor monument to his great gifts to all who practice and love the art of taxidermy. Then notice whose names do not appear on the donors list.

monument-donors.jpg

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Joe Kish

I thank you for your post. I want to make it clear I was NOT a donation giver. I was never aware of this memorial till George's post. It seemed 2 plus year's would be enough time to complete seemed a lot of defense on it wasn't with out reason other then one of the care taker accident. All should be happy it been completed and finished. I would like to take this time to thank all that donated.

msestak likes this.

3. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

Did you donate? I don't think so. Maybe you should shut your mouth.

Joe Kish likes this.
  4. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

20190730_170112.jpg

msestak, Fallenscale and Rick Carter like this.
  5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Thank You! It looks beautiful. You have done a fabulous job of setting everything up. The monument achieves exactly everything I hoped it would!

msestak likes this.
  6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I know Karma is a bitch and I have to give the Devil his due. No one knew anything about the stone until 3 weeks as go. The site had languished for 2 years. I post pictures and stones appear. Now share a chuckle with me. See if you can find the brick with my name on it. (Hint: Don't look near the stone. Don't look in the middle of the group. Try looking at the very bottom for the very last named brick.) Touche '. Well played.

magicmick likes this.
  7. George

Look, first and foremost as you haven't a single clue about me, I couldn't give a good damn if "my name" ever showed up on anything. I've donated thousands of dollars to taxidermy related issues and never had my name attached. John asked for DONATIONS. I donated and John informed me that my DONATION would also secure a brick with my name on it. I said that was unnecessary but he insisted.
    Let's get a few things straight as you dont know me. I couldn't give one good damn about my "name on a brick". I've given thousands of dollars to taxidermy related issues without needing to have my name attached to it. John approached me with his desires and asked for a DONATION. I DONATED. It was then that John told me my DONATION would also secure a brick with my "name on it". I told him no, but he insisted. I didn't figure it would be an issue.

Three weeks ago, a friend and I are on our way to Niagara falls when John calls me. He has a spasm as only John can have that I come by Clarendon. I'm sorry, bu Clarendon is 60 miles, an hour and a half drive, east of Niagara and far away from my intended route plans. I had no intentions of coming there but John still insists. It was later when my friend asked me how far Cooperstown was.

I was surprised. Baseball had been a big part of MY life but she'd never shown interest. She said that an old boyfriend. Warren Spaun had been inducted and would like to see his plaque. My plans changed. Clarendon is now loosely on the way. I contact John for your phone, both home and cell. 40 miles out I called your home phone and got no answer. Then I called the cell with the same results. When I got to Clarendon, not having a clue where anything was. John told me to call a local B&B as they'd know how to reach you. I got no answer. (Mind you, this is not an odd hour. It's after 10:30 a.m.)

I then called my good friend, Richard Christoforo who'd been there. It took awhile, but in brutal honesty, Clarendon doesn't seem to have a helluva lot going for it any bigger than the cemetary. It is HUGE and finding the spot was tricky. Richard told me it was near the maintenance building. As we spoke I found it. I spent nearly an hour looking at the massive history laid out inside that peaceful cemetery. But I wanted to be in Cooperstown before the HofF closed. No one called me.

So for your edification, it's probably for the best we didn't meet. I'd have likely asked you what had taken 2 years to lay those stones. From your pictures I know damned well it didn't entail union labor and had I done it, it sure would have been layed out a bit more esthetically and grouted. I gotta give you credit, however. Putting the brick with my "name on it" at the very bottom was pretty funny.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    magicmick likes this.
  8. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

I wanted it to be the first one stepped on.

9. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

10. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

Well now you know why I am not a taxidermist. I’m glad you got all of that off your chest. Do you feel better now?

11. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

The best part is one person in particular didn’t donate, showed up with their whole family, ate a free meal and stood front and center to have their picture taken. I might add that the same person was expecting to speak that evening too. For someone who grew up in Carl Akeley’s “backyard “ you had a strange way of showing your support for this project.
    Thank you Mr. Kish for your words and your support. You are a class act.

12. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    not necessary !!

magicmick likes this.
  13. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    ierlan66

I'm happy you got the blocks laid today. I would like to thank you in person by phone please privatel message me by starting a conversation and leave your phone. I as well would like to go visit this as well.

msestak likes this.
  14. George

I dont need to "clear my chest". I exposed your half-baked diligence and you're pissed. That might play well in your home town but your continued drivel exposes you. It took you 2 years to recognize a problem but only when it was exposed. Then it took less than 20 days to remedy it. You're correct, it's good you AREN'T a taxidermist. Our clients wouldn't tolerate you and a man like Akeley would have chewed you up and spit you out. Your town now has a monument to use in your tourism review because of donations by TAXIDERMISTS and now you come on OUR site and try to besmirch us. You're a piece of work.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    magicmick likes this.
  15. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

Erie, PA
    quick question for ierlan66:

how were the bricks installed ?

16. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

Wrong it wasnt all taxidermists! 4,000 came from regular folk , unlike you who must continue to rant publicly because you obviously need the attention badly. I don't have to justify why it took so long to install the walkway, it just did. So why don't you just find the next person you want to bully! That is exactly what you are.

17. George

Melissa, do you tire of hearing yourself prattle? Obviously not. All you've done is polarize a small industry that was attempting to elevate your standing. How many people outside taxidermy and possibly the natural history museums have any idea who Akeley was? You came on here acting like a bobcat with its teat in a bear trap. All I did was take a picture and comment that the stone had been dedicated 2 years prior and that nothing had happened since. If you have any visual evidence that my comments were incorrect, post them and I'll humbly apologize as I have this proclivity about telling the truth. Otherwise, shut the hell up.

18. ierlan66

ierlan66 Member

You have a problem with repeating yourself over and over. You are just a small man needing to call attention to himself. Maybe you should take your own advice and be quiet. Stop typing your obvious need to make yourself superior to all others. Just stop. If.you need to get the last word in then by all means do so. I will stop replying to your ignorant ramblings.

19. Brian Reinertson

Brian Reinertson Well-Known Member

Iowa
    The only guarantee on this site anymore is George will get the last word 100% of the time. Just wait for it..

20. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

okay.... Is this all worth it. its finished. will any of you even be thinking about this in a week or less. just let it be done. you have all said what you needed to say. no one can gain anything good from this. that's my comment.

ierlan66 likes this.