1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Any Help Molding/casting Bison Horns

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by bearpawbeetleworks, Jun 25, 2019.

1. bearpawbeetleworks

bearpawbeetleworks New Member

I need to mold and cast some bison horns, any pictures or videos of the process would be appreciated. Do I need a release agent for latex 74? not sure if they can be cast hollow or solid or how to accomplish that with uneven bases? thanks in advance

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

There very simple to make a mold and cast.
    Latex is fine and a mold release should be used with it.
    It’s easy to cast hollow as you put in X amount and turn by hand till it sets up.
    May need two -three coats .
    I just make sure I come up on the horns to get a good cast of them.
    You can tape the inside or push some paper or cloth towel in the hollow then clay on the inside to be able to carry the latex up

3. bearpawbeetleworks

bearpawbeetleworks New Member

thank you for the response, few more questions. what release do I want to use? After you come up past the base of the horns with the mold, you are casting past the horn base, just dremel the excess cast down to the actual horn base of the cast? does the latex mold need to be encased in plaster etc before pouring the cast?

4. What you are talking about the plaster is called a mother mold plaster works but bondo is better a two piece mother mold is best lay the horn latex mold on its side in a sand box half covered in sand cover it with bondo you can cut strips of burlap and impress into the bondo for added strength after it sets and drys flip it over clean off the sand paint Vaseline on the edges of the dried bondo where your next coat of bondo will overlap so not to stick to each other this should lock together. If you dont want to use sand you can use clay and dam off or build a partition halfway around lengthwise if you want you can use spray release instead of Vaseline

5. jigginjim

jigginjim Active Member

I made bison molds this spring, try your laxet on a small area to check, if you will need a release agent. I used thinned out Vaseline, Applied several layers of brush on latex, use bandage gauze to stop latex from possible splitting. I used retangles of foam to make key locking spots.
    Then added bondo mix on each side to make a two part mold. I also covered the bondo with fiberglass mesh and resin to strength the mother mold bondo.
    After the molds were complete, I sliced one small area to make removing the horn easier.
    When making the reproduction horn I used gel super glue to spot treat a couple areas, then a thin coat of latex to seal the split. Work out great.

antlermike likes this.