1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shaving Thin Hides

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by TysonT, Jun 28, 2019.

1. TysonT

TysonT New Member

I am looking at purchasing a small fleshing machine such as a dakota 4 or a foredom mini. I am wondering how to set one of these machines to clean up a hide after the pickle. I know like fox I have done don't need to be shaved but need to be cleaned up. How do I set a machine to do this? Or what machine works best?

2. I'd recommend the dakota over the foredom. fleshing machines are far superior to mini fleshers IMO. These videos helped me a ton when learning how to set up and use a fleshing machine. You can tune your blade and set your guards to help control the depth of your cut so you can clean up a fox without cutting into the already thin skin. But personally, I like to use a wire wheel flesher AKA bird flesher for thin animals like fox. It pushes all the membranes right off without any risk of cutting the skin (except on super thin skin like the belly it can make a little hole if you apply too much pressure, but the damage is VERY minimal compared to a mistake on a fleshing machine). Brian Hendricks has videos here on wire wheeling small mammals.

silverwings likes this.

3. I use a soft bristled wire wheel on all small stuff like fox coyote bobcat birds and snakes if you go to slow you'll burn a hole in the skin

4. GWebb

GWebb Active Member

Its more of a user adjustment than a machine adjustment. At least in my opinion. I can set my Dakota IV to where you can barely have any lip of the blade past the guards, it makes it easy to not cut holes but harder to flesh/shave. I can set the guards to where the amount of bite is dictated by the angle I take the skin across the blade. To me it is all trial and error. Get you a machine and practice on some capes/furs that aren't for a customer. I would recommend a thicker cape such as a deer to start learning on.