1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Let's Show Some Of Our Art.

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by vic h, Jun 30, 2019.

1. vic h

vic h Member

This is a bronze I sculpted in 1986. I never did like the original patina. I recently had the old patina sand blasted off and new patina applied. It is part of a complete set of the big five I sculpted back then and am in the process of redoing the other four bronzes. Thanks to Ken Edwards and his crew for the nice photography. This was taken at this years WTC.
    Vic

918-1449.JPG

msestak, John C, swampfox2 and 4 others like this.
  2. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

It's not wildlife related but this is a little painting I finished the other day. First painting I've done in almost two years. It's acrylic on canvas. French monastery. 008.JPG

Jtown, msestak, landdepot and 4 others like this.

3. vic h

vic h Member

Hey Dave, Thanks for posting your painting here. No worries that it not wildlife related,it's all art. I wish that I could paint. I've never painted except for using an air brush for taxidermy and I'm to old to learn now.
    I started sculpting for bronze years ago and I believe that if not for that I would have burst into flames doing taxidermy only. I have a feeling that there are a lot of taxidermist that do some kind of art and are very good at it. I wish more would contribute to this thread. A good example of this is that there were app. 27 bronze sculptures entered in the first WTC bronze sculpture division earlier this year. These were all sculpted by some of the best taxidermist in the country. All of the foundries that have done castings for me over the years after learning I was a taxidermist told me that the best sculptors for wildlife that they do work for have a taxidermy background.
    By the way, in addition to the bronze division, The WTC is thinking about a flat art division for the next show. If you are interested call Kathy at Breakthrough.
    With all this being said, your painting looks great and you should post more.
    Attached photo is my first attempt of a human figure I just completed a year ago. It was a big change for me not doing a wildlife piece but collecting reference was a whole lot more fun.
    Vic

Attached Files:

4. Dave Byrd

Dave Byrd Active Member

I agree, Vic. I bet there are a good many taxidermist that are very artistic in other areas than just taxidermy. You're sculptures are very nice. I've never really tried my hand at sculpting other than restorative art in mortuary school. We had to learn all the anatomy/features of the head and face and, using a photograph of ourselves, sculpt our own likeness onto an artificial skull using wax.
    I'll keep the WTC in mind. My next painting will most likely be a portrait of my daughter since this is her senior year of high school. I always told myself I would paint her portrait before she's grown so I guess I had better get with it. After that, I'll start a wildlife painting.

msestak and Micah Howards like this.
  5. Moose Antler carving

Attached Files: