1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pins For Mounting Turkeys

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nana65, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Nana65

Nana65 New Member

I am working on my first turkey. All the videos show the pros using long rigid pins. I ordered some wig pins, hat pins.....everything bends. Tried making my own from wire but it is too soft. What do you guys use? Thanks.

2. JerseyJays

JerseyJays Well-Known Member

I dont use any pins really. Maybe a few small ones around freezedried head to hold skin til dry.
    Or an upholstery pin to hold wing in place til bondo dries..
    Never had an issue.
    What are you trying to pin that is bending the pins?

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

If I have to pin an area under the feathers and it will remain, I use a long "T" pin sold at taxidermy supply companies. If I need to pin an area and I will be removing the pin, I want it to stick out of the feathers so I can remove it later. For that I use 4" euro pins sold at taxidermy supply companies. I have never had a problem with these pins as long as they are going into foam. If I need to pin something to Bondo, since I use Bondo as a filler in some parts of turkeys, I will use a stout upholstery pin and hammer it in.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Agreed on the 4" European Bird Pins. They are very durable, and will push into relatively hard foam. If you want to leave the pin after drying, you can clip off the plastic head, leaving about 1/8", and hide under the plumage.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Van Dykes sells japan pins(that's the proper name for the black anodizing) but being politically correct, they sell ",insect pins". I suggest getting the 3 inch. They're a fraction of the Euro pins and you won't have to pull these out.

6. Nana65

Nana65 New Member

Thanks all. Several of the videos I am using show using pins to hold particular groups up from sagging while they dry.