1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can A Cased Skinned Pelt Be Turned Into An Open Skinned One?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by xalatoh, Jul 7, 2019.

1. xalatoh

xalatoh New Member

hi! firstly, i'll start by saying that i sincerely apologize if this question is silly or if it's in the wrong category. i do not practice taxidermy myself (but love to collect it), nor can i seem to find the answer i'm looking for anywhere else. so here goes.

for several events throughout october i will employ the use of a cased skinned fox pelt for costume purposes (over the shoulders of a cape: think jon snow). i was hoping i could purchase another pelt that is open skinned to cover more surface area of the cloak, however, i'm uncertain if i'll be able to afford it in time. the one i have now is quite large and i'd be happy to reuse it; but i was wondering if there was any way i could open it down the belly without damaging the quality of the fur too severely, or if that would be a smart thing to do at all.
    can post pics if needed! thanks in advance!

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

Absolutely! You can open it up, just be sure to use a sharp knife or scalpel and make sure to cut a straight line down the middle of the belly. You’ll probably want to open up the front legs as well cutting from the middle belly cut up the back side of the leg. In that the pelt was tanned case skinned, it will likely have a shape to it that will not allow it to lay completely flat as it would if it had been tanned with a ventral (belly) cut to begin with, but it should work for you.

silverwings and xalatoh like this.

3. xalatoh

xalatoh New Member

thanks so much for the response! :)