1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Practices

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by ruskket, Jul 8, 2019.

1. ruskket

ruskket Member

Around what time period were taxidermy mounts and rugs done with the original skull? Is it possible to take the skull out and replace it without too much damage to either the skull or the mount itself?

2. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I have only worked with a handful of old mounts like you describe (maybe 5 or 6) and can speak only from what I have read and the limited personal experience I have had with such mounts. The chemicals used to preserve the skins back in the day when the real skulls were used are generally considered today to be dangerous and/or toxic. You likely would not be able to re-hydrate the the skin safely, and even if you could after so much time the skin retains a memory and would not properly conform to the replacement. I, personally, do not believe you could do it without substantial damage to the hide, and even if you could avoid direct damage, the hide, once removed, would not be usable for remounting. IMO