1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Gloss For Waterbased Paint

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Winchester’s taxidermy, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Hello guys I have been painting fish with water based paints and using super fish gloss. Is there better glosses out there to use. My fish aren’t getting that wet look I’m craving I use 2/3 coats of this gloss and I’m still not getting the look I want

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Try this cause I’ll give you a lot of products and get the same results. So it’s not the product but user failer. Lol
    Warm fish up, lay three flash coats , make sure it’s dry in between each coat. Then give your fish that three coat gloss.
    You should see a difference.

3. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

Frank, why are you warming the fish?

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It’ll stop from your gloss turning milky white and sets the gloss faster.

George likes this.
  5. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

I am just an amateur, but I use polytranspar water based paint, then wait a day before using Minwax polyurethane spray. I do a flash coat, wait a couple hours, then a good top coat. Very wet look. I haven't had any problems.

6. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Plus warming the fish helps eliminates air bubbles then when you hit it thick heat the surface immediately
    Or us two part clear coat from USComposites brush it on after sealing and rotate about three times

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Wally, be careful with the commercial poly. Some of it yellows badly with age. If it doesn't contain a UV resistant additive it will turn on you.

Winchester, just a note that can't be over emphasized it a term Frank used: FLASH COAT. The water based (acrylic) gloss isn't as bad as the lacquer end enamel clear glosses. They contain solvents that will blow apart your paint if you don't protect it from a heavy coat. The final "misting" steps in a paint schedule are especially susceptible to over application of glosses. Four or 5 flash coats may be a pain if you're a gasoline ass in a hurry, but I've seen entire paint schedules slough off from a single heavy gloss coat.

Beltonbanger and Wally Gator like this.
  8. It's funny or sad people will spend alot of hours painting a fish but are in a hurry to get there gloss on.

9. Lance.G

Lance.G Active Member