1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by GP1419, Jul 12, 2019 at 1:21 PM.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Member

I have a 3 gallon bucket with peroxide in it I used this past season to soak my skulls in, my question is will it still be good to use season after season or does it lose its strength, it is sallys 40 volume 12%.

2. nemo

nemo Member

Use cheap plastic bed pans from the hospital or you can buy them at Dollar tree. Pour Sally's 40 volume through the back of the brain cavity hole and the underside, but back of the sinus cavity. Hold for several seconds, let drain. Use cheap chip brushes to cover the rest of the skull. Allow it to sit for 24 to 48 hours. Rinse off, place on paper towel to drain water. Oh yeah, make sure you use the cream, not the liquid

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As long as you kept it covered and out of the light it will still work. It will gradually get weaker and take more time to whiten but it will last through many skulls. Not something I do with many chemicals but, stick your finger in it and see if it still turns white and stings. 40 VOL I would do that with but positively nothing higher. Or, take a bit of skull from somewhere and put it in a plastic baggie with some and set it off to the side and see.

As for the cream type, never use that to work with. Especially if you have cleaned and degreased your skulls. It has oil in it and you don't want to be applying oil to bone you just spent time getting the grease out of.