1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I Hate Dry Tanned Deer Hides!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by dmac1175, Jul 13, 2019.

1. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

I am mounting a couple deer today that I received from another taxidermist that were dry tanned when I got them. I rehydrated them to prep the skin for mounting and I'm mounting them today. I stopped sewing long enough to post on here my contempt for dry tan. I hope I never have to do another one. They have wierd stretch. Almost like memory in the hide. Kinda elastic springy type. Anyway, back to sewing.

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Then its a bad tan, if they are tanned properly dry tan is great

3. dmac1175

dmac1175 Active Member

Maybe it is a bad tan. I have mounted three tanned by Microtan and I haven't liked any of them. Possibly I didn't rehydrate them properly. However I tried to follow the instructions best I could.

4. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

A proper dry tan is the best way to go . The problem is finding a consistant proper dry tan source. The turnover time at a good dry tan tannery is another problem . At one time in the long ago past New Method's turn around time was 10 months or longer from soak up time . They were the best dry tan tannery in the country . Your load of work came in , in the fall and by the time it was shipped out got there ,was logged in , acknowledged and waited it's turn to get soaked up , you didn't get it back for over a year . The customers weren't happy . You were into taking in the next years work and haven't done last years . You didn't want the work just the deposits.
    Taxidermists were playing tannery roulette and getting nowhere .
    The DP guys started advertising 3 month turnaround time or less and cleaned up on the work available .

This started the new era of wet and quick tan .
    Now the taxidermists are playing "wet and quick tan , tannery roulette " . The more things change the more they stay the same !
    I saw a mounted ,DP ed "in the book" B+C WT Deer , last month ,a train wreck it was . The owner said as i was looking at it ,"it has a few cracks " .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    msestak likes this.
  5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Richard is dead on. Not that I'm a big fan of dry tans myself, but the time proven facts stand for themselves. As Jerry noted, you got a trash tan. A GOOD (read quality) dry tan is going to rehydrate well, and though it will never have the stretch and pliability of a GOOD wet tan, the hair will always be brighter and the loft of the hair and fur will be much higher. I'm old enough to remember the day when Seminole Fur Dressing introduced the wet tan. The only reason I stopped using them was when Carolina began offering it and they were much closer for shipping purposes. Before that time your only other choices were DP, and a couple of the "slip cream" tans out there. Guys like Akeley and Hornaday didn't seem to have any issues with dry tans.

6. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Those type skins are horrible to work with but is not because they are dry tanned.. A improperly tanned wet tan will do the same..

Not properly(FULLY)rehydrating a dry salted skin and then running it through the pickling and tanning process will cause that.
    A skin that has not been shaved properly and then "over tanned" will give you the problems you are having also.. Over leatherizing a cape will give it memory..

msestak likes this.
  7. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Tanned skins do have a shelf life.

A fresh hydrated dry-tanned hide is a pleasure to work with.

The older the tanned hide is, they might not have any stretch, have memory, dry rot or maybe you can barely push a needle through it.

Some old hides hydrate just fine, others, not so much.

msestak likes this.
  8. Did you ask the tanner how to rehydrate there tan,I wonder if it was thinned down more would affect how it's stretched.

msestak likes this.
  9. RonnieS

RonnieS New Member

Richard C, I am not a taxidermist but I have several deer capes to tan. I run a hunting operation. Based on what I read here, I have decided to dry tan them. Can you suggest a tannery. I am in no hurry to get them back. I am more interested in a quality tan. Thanks in advance.

msestak likes this.
  10. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

I had a coyote and bobcat tanned back in the 60s. I gave them to someone in the late 90s. The stretch on them was like they were just done 30 years latter.

msestak likes this.