1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Threaded Rod Installation?

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Krys10, Jul 14, 2019 at 4:33 AM.

1. Krys10

Krys10 New Member

I’m going to be using threaded rods for the first time soon, I’ve already searched the forums but can’t find anything on actually installing the rods to the base?

I don’t do a lot of life size - but I have a fox commission I’m currently working on. I’m wrapping the legs and have a foam form body.

I’m guessing I Bondo the threaded rods in to the form, but any tips/advice/tutorials on what fixings I need to attach the rods to the base would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

(I’m also from the UK and our taxidermy supplies are nowhere near accessible or varied than in the US, so would be looking to get something generic from a DIY store)

2. AZ~Rich

AZ~Rich " Africa" never fails to satisfy

The whole reason for threaded rods is to secure a LS mount using washers and nuts to lock them solidly to your base. That requires your base to have structural integrity usually provided with wood or steel drilled to accept your threaded rods. Normally you need a locking nut and/or washer between the mounted foot and the wood with another washer/nut below the wood block. Tightening from below while holding top nut with a wrench or pliers you will essentially sandwich the wood and create a rigid link between mount and base. Your base must have wood or some other solid structure incorporated in it to correctly secure threaded rods. Most bases are constructed as a wood structure first to accommodate the form’s foot rods correctly before the final base surfaces are created.

Krys10 likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

On something as light as a fox, I would suggest wire rather than rods. Use a #10 or #12 wire. Drill holes in your base the same size as the wire. Test fit, and clip the wires 1/4" shorter than the bottom of the base. Set your mount on the base, and from the bottom, use a 1 1/4" drywall screw and screw into each hole. The threads on the screws will lock into the side of the wire, and your mount will be secure. You can test this by drilling a hole in a board, inserting a wire and locking it in with a screw...it is not going anywhere.

BrookeSFD16 likes this.
  4. Krys10

Krys10 New Member

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Yeah it's a bit of a weird one, the commission is a fox standing on it's hinds carrying a silver tray, so I need it to be a bit more rigid and secure.

I will definitely be using the screw & wire method in the future though, such a cool tip! I've been bending the wire underneath the base and staple gunning the bent wire to the base before now, but this method sounds like seems a lot more secure and neat, thanks!

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I avoid threaded rods when possible on small mammals and turkeys. If they are strong enough to support the mount, they cannot be easily bent when doing the final tweaking. If they are small enough to bend, they will sometimes snap like a twig. I had to disassemble a turkey once because I broke a leg rod when positioning on a base.