1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Come Back!

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Rick Carter, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Ditch Facebook and all of the other garbage Social media sites.and come back to www.taxidermy.net! Why? Because it's the best place to learn, become friends with real taxidermists, and find out the latest trends in taxidermy. This website has the most archives and still has the most members. It has the best information on competitions and contacts. I have been kicked out of a couple of Facebook sites because I gave greenhorns an honest, real answer that didn't push the easy narrative. Social media is full of so much garbage it is becoming unbearable. Do you really want to stumble through a landmine of bashing and ignorance to find out what's happening in taxidermy? What could improve this site? 1. Keep politics to your self. 2. Use your real name and contact info. 3. Stop fighting. That's it. I remember when this site was the rave. It changed the industry and opened new worlds. Who remembers the excitement? Post something fun and significant that you remember. If you are new, post something exciting that you are doing.

2. This would be a great site if the politics and anything not taxidermy related were removed.

3. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

Spot on... The narcissists run wild on FB.. Its good comic relief though.

Rick Carter and msestak like this.

4. Ron Kelly

Ron Kelly Active Member

Great post Rick. While I agree with most of it, I have to say that I personally have talked to and know 20-30 Top , knowledgeable guys and some girls that have shared to me that they don't get on here much anymore . Mainly because of just a few loudmouths that seem to know everything and like to control every conversation they get into. I personally used to get on here first thing in the morning before work to see what was new and loved this site. I would love to think it could be great again and hope folks try again. I just don't think people want to be made fun of for asking a question. I personally don't have time for that nor do I want to read about it. Just a thought.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  5. SPOT ON!

Rick Carter and msestak like this.
  6. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I don't do facebook or any of those other social media outlets. I never thought of this site as being social media until George pointed it out to me that it was! I love this site and have learned a LOT from folks on here willing to share their knowledge and expertise and for that I thank Ken Edwards for having and maintaining this site. I would use my real name if I knew how to change it from my current handle. Taxidermy.net does not need to be "great again," it already is great.

Vic

7. drob

drob Well-Known Member

Was a good site.It's being highjacked by people who think its a site to voice there political views !!!!

8. socalmountainman

socalmountainman Northwestern School of Taxidermy - Class of '73

I don't come on taxidermy.net but maybe once a week. I don't always have access to my laptop but my cellphone is always in my pocket.

I subscribe to a couple of very professional taxidermy FB pages that screen new members and only allow professional taxidermists. Like .net, they offer a great platform and I get instant alerts on my cell when there are new messages.

If Taxidermy.net had a mobile app like social media, I would be on all the time.

Rick Carter likes this.
  9. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

Politics ,that which we want to keep our head in the sand about and don' t want spoken of on here will put a end to taxidermy as a legal vocation . Politics against taxidermy is a cancer that has already started in certain geographical areas . When you realize it has come to you and it will , take your head out of the sand and surrender.
    Nikita Khrushchev said in 1960 at the UN , " We will destroy you from within " , "We do not have to invade the US ".
    It is happening on many fronts as we read this.

Rick Carter, Audra, EA and 4 others like this.
  10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I can take a hint, but coming from whiners whose tender feelings are hurt by every disagreement, either grow a set of balls or just play the victim. "The qualities you most detest in others are those that you, yourself, possess."

Ken, you know I love you, but you're part and parcel of Rick's statement. Many, many moons ago when the site was brand new and there were only about 20 of us on here, Bill Yox and I both admonished Cecil Baird for dragging politics into the site. Our stance was that we should remove anything about politics, religion and sex. Cecil cried like a baby and you modified the site allowing that discussion. MY OPINION is that it could have been nipped in the bud at the beginning.

As a retired/retired old fart, I spend more time on Facebook than I should, but I NEVER visit taxidermy groups simply because they are nothing more than "Pickers" and the junk they sell is worthless. We have YouTube following closely by "Never Was's" telling beginners how to do things. Many of the "experts" who've left here weren't run off by me telling them they were full of crap, they left because of their track records of being wrong. If I played any part of their leaving it was because I didn't idolize them and bow to their piety. This ain't rocket science and Bondo ain't an adhesive. I never left and if that's what some of the prima donnas are wishing for, they'd better get on my undertaker's website.

11. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    It is still a great site as Vic said. I am part some facebook groups and I see how it is just an ego stroke for many that post on there. I can't understand how independent people, which most of us are, can get so butt hurt over what some "Keyboard cowboy" types. Yes, some can be damn insensitive with their responses but I bet that isn't really what they are like face to face. I have been here for a while now and some have been complete a**holes towards me but I look at it as a case of mind over matter. They don't matter so, I don't mind. Reflecting back on some of those interactions, some of their messages were good but their delivery was not so good and that is being polite.
    This site holds a great wealth of knowledge in the archives and from some who still are willing to share, it could likely use many folks to get over themselves and also others maybe grow a thicker skin.

12. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

The information that is available on this site on the subject of tanning is as good as it gets anywhere, period.. Over the past 20 or so years probably 75% of my time on here has been in the tanning forum..
    Some of the best fur dressers in the industry have laid it all out for anyone who is interested to see... Priceless info.. Bruce Rittell, Old Shaver, Cyclone, Frank Kotula etc...... Thanks fellas!!!!!!!!!!

13. Richs Taxidermy

Richs Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I still love this site,more than any other ones,One improvement I wish that could be done is redo the tutorial section,and clean up all the dead photo bucket post,it needs a good housecleaning.

14. msestak

msestak Well-Known Member

I think that would require an entire re-write by the original authors with them having to up load the photos to a new photo sharing site.

photo bucket is holding all the photos "Hostage" so to speak unless the owners pay a fee. from what i hear that fee is expensive.

Rick Carter likes this.
  15. TIMBUCK

TIMBUCK Active Member

^^^THIS

Rick Carter and Chippers like this.
  16. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, a lot of those tutorials are still helpful to those that read them. Pictures or not. I agree, that it would be a tremendous help if the posters came back and fixed the pictures. I found that, some of them still are viewable but you have to click on the blacked out picture first (if you hover over the blacked out photo, your mouse arrow will change if you can). What Photobucket did screwed a lot of posts on here as well as other places. Some of the OPs haven't been back in years but the info is still valid. The new format is a bit of a learning curve. Some parts are better, some not. It's damned impossible for anyone to locate and use the Advanced Search now. Farcebook isn't a better place than this .. not in any way, shape or form.

Rick Carter, BrookeSFD16 and msestak like this.
  17. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

As a newer member to the site it appears that the seasoned and well established taxidermists remain somewhat reserved in critiques and offerings of help. Some I would even dare to say just lurk or not even visit. I have seen some of these people take the backlash for their input due to hurt recipient feelings or egos so I understand. I also think this is a growing problem in the industry that will eventually implode and it will go back to the days of those who can will and those who can't will have to figure it out by themselves. There's still some on here that have been around for a while that offer help and suggestions that are invaluable to those who will take it and apply it. The tutorials although missing pictures is still some of the most valuable material there is for FREE! There is so much experience to be gained from the knowledge of these taxidermist who have been in this industry for 10,20,30, or more years(George), that if you put a price on it most would be over whelmed by sticker shock. If there is anyway to keep these people involved to help the newer generation of taxidermist (who will put ego aside and listen) become successful then this would truly be the ultimate taxidermy site for years to come.
    Please pardon my grammar. This is just just my two cents.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  18. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    16 post already on what some would consider a sort of "opinion" post! How many actual taxidermy related post on this page have reached that here lately even after a week? Fact is people like opinions because every body has at least one! Not sure how some of you think that this was "once a great site" before opinion or political post. All I remember is it being opinionated and I loved it! I remember the whole current events page flipping in a day and a NTA bashing post could go on for a week!! How long has it been since a moderator had to get involved here? We are a dying society because of snowflakeism!

And you'd have to be a full blown snow flake to blame George for this site going down hill! Worse thing that ever happened to this place was George's testosterone bottoming out! Nothing pisses him off anymore and I think that is sad!! :oops:

What ever came of the NTA anyway?

Rick Carter, EA, TIMBUCK and 4 others like this.
  19. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i joined back in 2006.i met so many cool help full people. i remember the yoxathon. never had a chance to go to one. now thats gone. a lot of the older members are no longer on here eather. george is the only one i beleive that is still here. i hope it takes off again.those of us that are still here lets pull to geather and make this site great again.

20. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I feel that politics should be kept in the current events as I believe that this is partly why we have that section.

I feel that if I don't get a few likes, agreed with, disagreed with, slapped down a few times and called out at least once or twice, as well as ridiculed a little, that I didn't fully participate. When ever George has been hurtful to my itty bitty feelings, I either reflect on it agree or disagree and laugh it off or shake my head and chuckle. I have always liked him and always will.

It's hard to believe that people would leave this site over stuff like that. I come on here everyday even though there are real asses on here that I can't stand, however, they have great info and sometimes you gotta wade through the weeds to get to the wheat.

This site is better than any video or magazine on taxidermy that I have ever purchased!

Rick Carter, Audra, pir^2h and 4 others like this.