1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Honoring Old Prices

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by StonewallSkullWorks, Jul 16, 2019.

1. StonewallSkullWorks

StonewallSkullWorks New Member

Would you honor an older price that you gave someone?

My wife handles the calls/texts since I work full time and this is just a side business, she is currently in ICU but doing well, someone called today and left a message asking how much to do a bear skull. She asked me and I told her 120.00. She called the guy back and told him 120.00, He said "well before I was told 90.00 so if you wont do it for 90.00 I will just let my taxidermist do it, it is already skinned and everything."

I have done price increases over the last several years and I can not remember this guy or when it was that I told him 90.00 but it had to be a while because I have one in my shop that has been finished for over a year and not picked up and that one was 120.00. Should I honor the 90.00 price, if he would have been nice and just said something like "I really only wanted to spend 90.00 so if the price went up to 120.00 I probably wont have it done" or something along those lines I probably would do it for 90.00 but my wife said he was kind of rude on the phone.

I just don't want use being stressed by her being in the hospital cause us to make a unreasonable decision in not doing it for 90.00. If I am wrong please tell me, you wont hurt my feelings, im looking for honest opinions

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You set your prices not the customer. Do not go down that road. Don't do it. If you are wondering I charge $215 to clean and whiten a black bear skull.

Tanglewood Taxidermy and pir^2h like this.

3. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Everything goes up in price over time. Try going to Wal-Mart and saying, "Last week this item was only $29.95 and now it is $39.95. Can't you give it to me at that $29.95 price?" You know what the answer will be! That was then and this is now. With an attitude like that do you really want this clown for a customer? If you do it once he will use it again and again. Let the customer go to someone else and be their headache. As 3bears said, you set the prices, not the customer. My three cents worth (inflation) for what it is worth.

Tanglewood Taxidermy likes this.
  4. StonewallSkullWorks

StonewallSkullWorks New Member

Thanks guys. I have made mistakes with pricing, I started with my prices way too low because I was only planning to do a few a year, well it grew to more than I had expected. I started off doing whitetail for 40.00 and I have been going up 10.00 about every other year, this past season I went to 70.00 and had a few complaints from older customers that had work done at the 40.00 price. I know that I am still a lot cheaper than anyone else around.

When I was at the 40.00 price and only doing ten a year it was nice, all the people were friendly and patient, now I am doing about seventy skulls a year and it seems like every year I get at least one person that keeps calling asking about his skull long before the estimate date. I just don't understand why someone would want to rush or try and haggle a lower price with the person working on their trophies. This guy went on a trip to Canada to kill this bear so i'm sure it was expensive and now he wants to haggle over 30.00. To be honest I really do not want to do bear at all, they take sooo long in the degreasing tank that it slows down my production because right now my setup only degreases three heads at a time.

5. Rausch

Rausch Well-Known Member

If he calls back tell him the price went up to $150! He will be the one who calls every week to see if it’s done anyhow.

6. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Ditto all the above. This is the sort of guy you don't want as a customer anyway. It's fine to start low and then tweak the prices up as you improve and do more work. It's a good way to get a customer base when you are beginning. The cost of materials, electricity and your time and skill also increase as time passes and should be accounted for. If he calls again, tell him you will do it for $150 .. and if he does bring it in, make sure you do a first class job on it. I have a written letter to each and every customer. I state the price for the job and the estimated time/date for the job to be finished (in my favor). I have them sign it and date it and I give them a copy. If I get a call asking about their trophy, I ask them what is the date written on your sheet? You set the prices and rules of your shop. Don't let the client make them for you.

Rausch likes this.
  7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I found an old paper in a steamer trunk today from October 15, 1944. It offered a 3 drawer chest of drawers for $16.95 at Sears. Do you think Sears would accept that sale paper and sell me a chest of drawers for $16.95? I agree with Rausch, I'd call him back and apologize for giving the wrong price and that it was actually $150 if he skinned it and $125 if I did it.

The real problem in taxidermy actually lies in the scenario you just painted. (IT'S NO REFLECTION ON YOU - WE ALL DO IT) We start out doing taxidermy as a side job and look at it as side money or mad money that supplements our full time employment. We never think about the utilities, equipment and time involved in the work. We ignore good business practices that along with a peppering of trying to undercut the guy down the road to ignoring the actual worth of what we're doing. What would you do if the boss or your "real job" payed you the way you charge your customers? You know while you're skinning out a guy's roadkill, he's taking his family to the beach. On his spare time he's enjoying life - on your spare time, you're doing work for him. Sometimes you just have to say "screw that guy". Always charge what YOU'RE worth, not for what some hayseed thinks you're worth.

8. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

And take two years to pick it up, if ever.