1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Re Hydrating Black Bear Skin

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Nathalie Robin, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Nathalie Robin

Nathalie Robin New Member

I am getting ready to tan a fur on black bear. I have a bit of work to do as it was salted and dried quickly due to a move. I am experienced with cleaning fresh hides not dried ones. How long should I re hydrate for before i finish cleaning and thinning it before tanning?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I rehydrate salt dried skins using water and McKenzie relaxer degreaser. Put the skin in and agitate it every so often until it is fully rehydrate I then use the same stuff in another bath to wash the skin good and then rinse in clean water and then into the pickle it goes. After a minimum of 72 hours in pickle, drain and shave the skin and then back in the pickle for at least 24 hours. On bears I do a separate degreasing soak after shaving and then back into pickle for a day. Then proceed with neutralizing and tanning.

3. Nathalie Robin

Nathalie Robin New Member

Thank you.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    You are welcome

5. Lorn

Lorn Member

Is it ok to use course salt on bear hides? It is a pinkish red in color. Looks to be fine ground. Pickling purposes and salting hides?

Attached Files:

6. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I am not entirely sure Lorn. I accidentally bought a bag of that once and didn't use it, I put it out for the deer. I was concerned about the amount of other trace elements messing with my PH. Hopefully someone else can and will answer your question.

7. Lorn

Lorn Member

Well that’s my concern with it too. I don’t know if good or bad

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

If that is Himalayan Pink salt I would not use it. You would be better off using containers of non iodized salt. Where did you get the salt? I've seen road salt that was that color too. There is an additive on it that colors it. Seems much too fine for that though.

9. Lorn

Lorn Member

I got it at a feed store. Thinking I need to get salt elsewhere though