1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Anybody Else Hate Clear Coating?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Cecil, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I finished 5 ten pound Lake Erie walleye today that will be a stringer mount. Just had to apply the clear coat but put it off until tomorrow. Good pay out but couldn't get myself to do it. I wanted out of there!

2. What is your choice for clearcoats

3. Do any of you "flex" your clear?

4. Gary R

Gary R Member

I LOVE clear-coating! Brings out all of those vibrant colors.....
    One-time I couldn't readily locate my respirator, so I just decided to go ahead and shoot the clear anyway. I don't remember much about that afternoon. LOL. Automotive 2-part clear can MESS up your brain. :cool:

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Nope, clear coat typically means payday is near.

6. Cory

Cory Keep an eye on quality!

Do tell. What exactly does this mean?

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Are you asking if we add flex additive to our clear? The answer for me is no. Back in another life I would use it when there were a lot of plastic parts on a car I was painting.

shorefisherman likes this.
  8. I add flex additive to my 2 part clear so the fins don't get hard & brittle over time as the clear slowly cures. The additive keeps the catalyst from completely locking up with the clear. I normally use it for plastic automotive parts like bumpers.

It also seems to help with fin curling

9. John Beavers

John Beavers New Member

While on the subject what are everyones feelings on Polytranspar’s Wet Look clear coat in the grab-and-shoot can?

10. GotHonks

GotHonks Member

I hate having to mix a 2 part clear coat but for the wet look it does the job ... I was looking at a fish carving web site and found that many of them like to use Krylon Triple Glaze clear coat ...... Super simple, Cheap and looks as good as the 2 part stuff and its flexible but takes a day to dry completely .... I also take a PC of cotton and buff the rough spots out after each paint color and then again after each clear coat .... Use to paint models when I was a kid and learned tricks from a guy that won the best airbrush modeler for 3 yrs in a row ... He does the models that are pictured on the boxes and gets paid silly money for building them.. MOP n Glo will give you a great wet look finish as well .... Been trying to get him to paint a replica fish but he's too busy building models ..... 10k per model I guess I'd stick with it too ...

antlermike likes this.
  11. Bryan Russell

Bryan Russell Active Member

Time to retire?

12. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Bryan I was at that point years ago but keep chugging along. When I'm done for the day I'm done for the day.

Beltonbanger likes this.
  13. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I gave up on all the aerosol cans years ago. Wait until you've spend all day painting fish and you get a can from a bat batch, or has been on the shelf too long. It will ruin your day knowing you'll have completely strip the fish and start over. And it will make you not want to use the aerosol cans again.

Sotired and Beltonbanger like this.