1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fine Painting

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Jul 26, 2019.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

I'm just wondering if anyone uses actual ink pens or markers to put on some of the fine detail? I'm afraid to do it for fear it will bleed or smear.( I know I could practice on my own fish but looking for advice) If so what's your process and do you seal it right away like I do with powders?

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes and yes. When I need to I use, pens, markers, colored pencils, chalk whatever it takes to accomplish what I am after and then when I like it I hit it with a couple flash coats of clear just to lock em down.

GotHonks likes this.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I do as well like 3 bears than flash coat

4. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Ok ill give it a try. My fear was a ink pen or a sharpie would run, but if I do a flash coat it should hold it. would you do a couple coats before you would clear coat it just to make sure the clear coat don't affect it? I had something a while back that looked good until I put on the clear coat then it bled quite a bit. thanks

5. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, I always give couple of flash coats of clear lacquer, gloss or matte doesn't matter, over a fish prior to any final clear coats and then I start with a flash coat of that.

GotHonks likes this.
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The use of ink (aka) (transparent pants ) or any paint pens are fine to use as their paint. It’s like any other medium we use .
    Now when it comes to markers that’s where you can have issues as in running
    ( acetone) or hoping it doesn’t turn purple on you. Just read up on what they are.
    Keep practicing using and air brush for it’ll be softer and better looking than some harsh lines . Until them use whatever you can to make it work!

silverwings likes this.
  7. If you want to try markers check out Matuska ,never used them but alot of people like them