1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Habitat

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by AFTHUNT, Jul 29, 2019.

1. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Does anyone know who sells sea duck habitat like shells, seaweed and stuff that grows on the rocks.
    Thanks
    Tom

francis007 likes this.
  2. francis007

francis007 New Member

3. fowlweatherfowler

fowlweatherfowler Active Member

NW Ohio
    Duxrus he has a website. Name is Brian Brew. Some of the nicest stuff out there

bucksnort10 and Lance.G like this.
  4. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

If you are on Facebook his page is Brian Wildwings

5. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

C523D658-C713-42AB-9D2B-7ED0BE178800.jpeg 1E087419-750F-40C7-A250-16A67B340E9F.jpeg 851AA3C1-4ACC-4253-BA8D-94E088415292.jpeg EB91186A-E9AA-41A1-9152-2A5C22C1FB75.jpeg C8827574-AFD8-44B3-B7F5-069649E5D7EF.jpeg
    www.duxrus.com

Go to the product page and if you are interested in anything just give me a call
    Thx Brian

6. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Thanks will be ordering this week.
    Thank you

7. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

this is called "foreground" ... NOT .... habitat.... who started that anyway, habitat is region climate weather flora ..... not the basework on your mount

8. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  9. byrdman

Habitat is more than a few fake weeds....includes climate weather rainfall etc....foreground is the basework on mounts.... background is muiral etc .... talk to any museum curator...... calling your basework on a mount "habitat" is pretty sketchy..... another term by the "snap-together" taxidermy generation who never wrapped a body carved a fish made a cast built a deer form tanned a skin painted an eye used a real bill scissored a bird. Just rely on catalogs and other taxidermists and sculptors to make thier attempts saleable to call themselves professionals

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  10. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

don't fall off of your pedestal . . . you may hurt yourself

MRN, rogerswildlife, Lance.G and 3 others like this.
  11. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

o_O:rolleyes::( Wow sorry to step on your tail but the dictionary is the way i go, not what a small minority of people decide to use the words the way they feel it should mean. Back in the day my teachers taught me to open a dictionary to find out what a word means. Not to listen to a few people on what they think the words mean.
    Sense i used all them practices you mentioned back in the 70's (when i first got a taste of taxidermy) that must mean i'm a GOD like you. But wait because i now use the modern way to do taxidermy to save time and make money i'm labeled a "snap-together" taxidermist, by you, WOW.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Once again sorry to say your wrong it is habitat. When you put a mount in an diorama your recreating its habitat that the specimen came from EX: leaves, trees, grass, snow, ice, water etc. I NEVER heard one person say that ducks foreground is wetlands, SORRY again, it is that - ducks habitat is wetlands. Just saying

12. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    You did not hinging wrong.

You did nothing going wrong you back up how you came to call it habitat. I gree you. Great when someone can back up there words as ideas other then just keep running of the mouth.

rogerswildlife, AFTHUNT and Lance.G like this.
  13. byrdman

So do you pour real water on your duck " habitats"? You have "replica habitats" which curators refer to as foreground and background, but nobody uses backgrounds for comercial work ..... anyway not my terminology museum curators terms who study more " habitat" than you do.... and "snap-together taxidermy" is not my term either but has been used on taxnet longer than you or I have been here

14. byrdman

Ok richard

15. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

https://tenor.com/view/wall-slam-gif-10746151

The only thing left to say!!!!

16. byrdman

Ok Richard

17. byrdman

Here is a complete habitat display at the smithsonian which includes foreground of ice and snow and a background murial of sky , you can go ahead and call your basework habitats but without the background murial depicting the sky weather climate its not a complete habitat diorama in museum terms.

Attached Files:

18. AFTHUNT

AFTHUNT Active Member

Yes in that seen the foreground is the walrus the background is the ice , water and sky. Habitat is still ice snow and water. Yes in the definition it does state what temperature they live in but you cant even paint the temperature(other than froze or thawed) on a background mural or even the depth of water they live in. So in the real world of taxidermy you can only recreate what you can recreate which is the habitat they live in By definition.
    By the way my name is not Richard it is Tom.

Habitat
    • Most walruses live where the air temperature is about -15° to +5°C (5° - 41°F).
    • Walruses are generally found where the water is no more than 80 m (262 ft.) deep. They prefer a habitat with a gravelly bottom. Walruses spend about two-thirds of their lives in the water.
    • Walruses haul out to rest and bear their young.
      • Walruses are adapted to a habitat of sea ice and prefer snow-covered moving pack ice or ice floes to land. They haul out on small rocky islands when ice is not present.
      • Eskimos call a traditional walrus haul-out area an ooglit.

bucksnort10 and rogerswildlife like this.
  19. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

By the way, my name is Dan not Richard.

AFTHUNT likes this.
  20. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Byrdman - did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed today? Seems like you're nit-picking and maybe a little bored? Ha! Sorry, I have to agree with the others. McKenzie doesn't list "Foreground" or "Background" in their index of their supply catalog for weeds and such. They list it under "Habitat"!!! And what in the heck does a museum curator know about Art anyway? Some do, yours doesn't (or you misinterpreted what he/she said). In the Art world, foreground and background can be anything in front or in back of the focal point of the piece of Art one is viewing. It can be habitat or nothing or anything - ha! Call it a banana for all I care. Composition is what really matters and many on here have no clue about good composition! But, just know that I don't agree with anything you have stated in this thread! BA in Art, Cornell College, '85...

AFTHUNT, HondaXR250 and bucksnort10 like this.