1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help With Silicone Casting Mold

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by woakley144, Jul 29, 2019.

1. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

I am trying to cast a coyote tail using the silicone method. I have made 2 molds and both have failed to set up so I can cast with the hot glue. Brian Hendrick uses this method to cast bobcat tails.... and I have used it to cast some bobcat molds with great success.

I tried using 100% straight GE silicone, then used the silicone & acrylic paint and both have not completely dried well enough to get the tail out of the mold.

I'm lost...... does silicone go bad or what?

Thanks in advance

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Are you building it up in layers? If the outer skin sets up quick it will slow the silicone under it from setting up as quick. If I'm casting anything using tube silicone. I freeze it in position then build up layers of silicone placing it in freezer between coats. Typically one or two a day. Yes it takes longer and you have to plan ahead, but it works good for me.

woakley144 likes this.

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Indeed your not letting it set up.
    If your using it straight it’ll be a week till it sets up. Just place it outside, after it sets wash it out and you’ll be fine
    Now it all depends on how much water base paint you add to the mix. To little and it’ll take a few days , to much and it’ll set up in your cup.
    This seams to be your problem ( not giving amble time to cure)

Now another method is lay it in bedding, make a few keys and mix some bondo and resin and pour over 1/2 the tail. Two coats then flip and do the other side.
    From there you can build up your tail with hot glue, then on the last coat , lay a bead down , clamp the mold then pull out your tail. Make sure you wax the mold up before you use glue or any other casting material

woakley144 likes this.
  4. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

Thanks guys!!! I talked with the guy at Lowe's and he also said that the GE silicone DOES have an expiration date, which I didn't know, so I am checking that to see if that is the problem.
    @ Frank, I never thought of the bondo method to cast a tail using the hot glue....
    Thanks for the idea! I really like using the silicone method because It's easier to store.

@ 3bears, Yes I built the silicone up and it sat for over a week, the silicone & Acrylic was still tacky next to the tail bone.

Just never have had this issue and looking for ideas..

Thanks a bunch guys! This is the reason I love taxidermy.net!!!!!

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  5. woakley144

woakley144 Active Member

FOUND THE PROBLEM! The silicone I was using must have been out of date..... bought a new tube and remolded the tail last night, today the silicone was set ready for the 2nd layer! Looking good now... will let ya know how it turns out!

Thanks 3bears and Frank K for the thoughts and ideas.....

Fallenscale and 3bears like this.