1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Premade Earbutts Or Clay Earbutts

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabrielle, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle New Member

Im about to start my first attempt at taxidermy. Is it better I start out with premade earbutts, or make them out of clay?

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I have used and like both. My choice for myself and a beginner is to go with clay.

tem and Gabrielle like this.

3. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    premade ear butts are great, if you are set on a certain look and position and you take the time to set up the manikin to accept them. many are not made for their use. Clay ear butts are more forgiving and allow you to slightly alter the ear position as you go but you must pay attention to anatomy as you do, that is there in a premade butt. They both work, so I won't tell you one is better than the other, it depends more on you and your abilities and wishes.

Gabrielle likes this.
  4. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

Your mount will not be a work of art as it being your first. It will be more like a comedy of errors. So, less than perfect ear butt anatomy won't make much difference at this point.

I found getting the form right to accept the pre made butts more aggravating than moulding the clay for ear bitts.

Gabrielle likes this.
  5. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Preset. They will help you learn shape and location.

6. Nana65

Nana65 New Member

I keep a couple of sets of presets around to look at muscle shapes etc but I do my own from clay. I find it easier to get a natural look without as much work getting the form to take the preset.

3bears likes this.
  7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Clay...you've gotta learn sometime. They are no trouble to make. Finish ear, invert skin back about an inch, press a ball of potter's clay about the size of a tangerine down into the ear, smoothing from the cartilage down, then place on a table with the ear pointing straight up and form the ear base. Do all this prior to placing the cape on the form. As earlier stated, you are not going to win any Blue Ribbons on your first deer.