1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Use Of Klie And Smooth On 20

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by RichMO, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Smooth On 20

100.0%
  2. GI 1100

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I just did a second cast on making a new pheasant head. My last castigs i used epoxy sculpt for final and wattles. The one I'm working on is a spring mount (larger wattles of course). Im thinking of using Rick Kranes product Klie. Has anyone been using it and if so what on.? Let me know what you think. Does it set hard and sandable....how long before lit can be sanded......usual questions. Thanks Rich.

2. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

No response on the Klei so I'll ask another question...... RTV for mold casting. Smoothon 20 is less than $100 while GI 1100 is $150 (including shipping). Ive used Gi but not the Smooth on 20. Looking at getting a gallon but would like so input. Thanks

3. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Ok I’ve done talked about at other shows and here some thoughts.
    All I use anymore is Klei for all my epoxy work.
    I use 90% rubbing alcohol to smooth it out. It’s VERY STICKY only drawback per say. It’s strong, sets up in two or less hours depending on age and heat. ( I take small amounts out and I don’t cover it. Makes set up time faster or heat it up prior to mixing lol to much and you’ll have a rock in your hand lol.
    As for silicone I like as for tin mold max 30 and for platinum I use fast set dragon skin.
    Tin is great if I’m just going to be pulling out numerous pulls ASAP but one pull here another a month from now etc then it’s platinum for the longevity. JMT

rogerswildlife and BrookeSFD16 like this.