1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Identification

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by fox hunter, Aug 2, 2019.

1. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

can anyone id this fish for me please.

Attached Files:

• 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      140.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Looks like an ancient poorly done largemouth bass. But if it's in England I would assume it's a saltwater fish that looks similar to a largemouth bass morphologically as in a grouper?

3. fox hunter

fox hunter New Member

Thanks Cecil for the reply, ive had other people say largemouth Bass, id say it would have weighed 15-20lbs if whole, the pic dont do it justice as its huge, its for sale in a local auction house will see if i get it tomorrow on sale day.

4. Could it be a Cod?

JL and Cecil like this.
  5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

That thing will give small children nightmares whatever it is!

6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Could that be a burbot ?

7. FishArt

No - ha!

I don't think it's a Cod either.

I think Cecil is on the right track with either a LM Bass or Grouper. I'm leaning towards the latter looking at the amount of grease bleed. There's so many saltwater fish it could be though!

8. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Peacock Bass

9. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I don't think this is a bass. But all can chime in a bass bottom jaw extended pass it's eye this look as the bottom jaw stops in front of its eye. What option ?

10. FishArt

Who knows what it is as it's a terrible mount which could have been bastardized by the original taxidermist. As far as the mandible goes. It appears to me that it is long and large enough to extend to the back of the eye if the mouth were closed. Mouth open changes everything...

11. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Absolutely not a cod as I have caught plenty of them. Looks to be some type of grouper but it is badly dried out and no way to know what the actual color was. Does the label on it say anything? Have to love auction house stuff. Just bought an absolutely AWFUL polar bear rug. I'm going to keep the claws off of it and sell off the rest of the hide in pieces for fly tying. Polar bear fur for certain flies is a must have.

FishArt likes this.
  12. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Looks like the cod we used to catch out of whales England

13. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

By the teeth and mandible