1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

More Skunk Problems

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Trapper2016, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Trapper2016

Trapper2016 Thanks for this awesome forum!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I really appreciate all of the advice on my last skunk thread about hiding seams. Unfortunately I screwed myself into another problem. This is for me personally so no big deal if it can't be fixed, but I messed up when dealing with my latest skunk and was wondering if it would even be worthy trying to fix.

I had another spotted skunk in the freezer and skinned and fleshed him but this one smelled something awful. So I used the normal smell removal recipie that has been used on this site many times and it worked well. The problem was that I wasn't thinking and i left the skin in the solution for about an hour. It smelled much better, but when i took it out it was much whiter than it used to be. The critter now looks more brown than black. I should have been thinking and realized the dangers of leaving it in too long, but my head just wasn't in the right place.

I might just mount the guy up as is since all the work is already done but have also contemplated trying to get it back to a nice black color. I was considering potentially using hair dye to try and get the black back in while avoiding the white stripes and spots, but have never attempted such. Do you think this would be fesable on such a small critter as far as being able to dye the hair back while avoiding the little white stripes and spots?

In any event, its a lesson learned and thanks for the advice
    Chris

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Are you sure your spotted skunk isn't of a brown color phase? After washing it it showed it's true colors. Remember I haven't seen your spotted skunk.

Trapper2016 likes this.

3. Trapper2016

Hi Fallen. Thanks for responding. Yeah he started out being the normal black color and i guess i just let him sit in the hydrogen peroxide for to long. Stupid mistake, i just didn't think it would bleach the hide. Dag on skunks. Its always something.

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Yes, you can use hair dye on them. It works but just be careful to not hit the white spots. I do it after it is mounted and dried.

Trapper2016 likes this.
  5. HUm to much peroxide. did you use 3% or the other stuff for skulls?

Trapper2016 likes this.
  6. Trapper2016

Hi John. I will have to check on the concentration but its the standard stuff walmart carries in the medical isle. I used the mixture of the peroxide with baking soda and some dawn. It took it from the normal dark black to a dark/medium colored brown. I guess i just left the thing in their too long. I may have let it sit an hour or so and i guess i had a mind fart and just wasn't thinking it could bleach the hair.
    Have a good one
    Chris