1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Flesh So Dry It Cracks.

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Lakakoha, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Lakakoha

Lakakoha New Member

I got this skull as sort of a gift from a hunter who doesn't have enough time to finish it.
    The bits of flesh on it are so dry they don't give at all and crack when I go at them with pliers.
    How do I go about that?
    I am also curious about the dark brown/ black stuff on the inside and the thin porous walls in the canals seen from inside the skull. They hold a lot of residue, should I break through them with something?

(I attempted to add three photos, not sure if it will work.) IMG_20190804_170147.jpg IMG_20190804_170233.jpg IMG_20190804_170205.jpg

If I manage to clean it up, then I plan to whiten and mount it on a wooden plaque.

2. WhiteRabbit87

WhiteRabbit87 New Member

Maine
    Soak it in water. Add a squirt of dawn dish soap to help degrease it as well but water alone will remove the bits. It might be hard to find a container it will fit in but the entire skull piece needs to be covered. Once a week or so, pull it out, dump the water, spray it with the hose and see if it's loosened up. Pay attention to the color of the water too. If it turns milky white after a couple days, the skull is still greasy. Keep changing out the water until it barely gets cloudy. You might get some dark spots as algae grows on it but that can be taken off after degreasing with peroxide.

msestak likes this.

3. Lakakoha

Lakakoha New Member

Thank you, will do that!

Will it clear up the middle part as well?

WhiteRabbit87 likes this.
  4. WhiteRabbit87

WhiteRabbit87 New Member

Maine
    Yes it will clean it out eventually, especially once it's loosened up and you spray it with the hose. I buy skulls from trappers that have been air dried with brains, tongues and eyes still intact and soaking will get it all out in time.

msestak likes this.