1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Death Mask

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by meat, Aug 5, 2019.

1. meat

meat Active Member

Need to make a death mask on monkey without ruining the hair on its face . Any advice would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks For any help!!

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I haven't done one in a long time. But if I remember correctly I used vaseline on the hair before the plaster.

meat likes this.

3. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

use algenate

4. paul mullins

paul mullins New Member

could use hair gel cheers

meat likes this.
  5. Chippers

Chippers Member

I've used vaseline and alginate with good results. Hair gel sounds like a good idea too

meat likes this.
  6. paul mullins

paul mullins New Member

good buzz trying to bring back animals bird back to life artistically speaking paul m.

meat likes this.
  7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Really? I would think the vaseline in the hair would not only be a mess but wouldn't the alginate pick up the vaseline detail too? Not doubting you, I'm just having trouble visualizing. I know just enough about molding and casting to be dangerous - ha! Plus wouldn't you still need to pour some plaster over the alginate to keep it from tearing or distorting?

8. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

When I did a lot of them I was looking for more of the underlying detail. I would rub the Vaseline into the fur really well then smooth it all down to make it lay tight to the skin. This would pick up all the underlying detail.

Richs Taxidermy and FishArt like this.
  9. Chippers

Chippers Member

It's definitely a mess and I haven't found an easy way to get it out of the hair. As for the shape, I just slick the vaseline down in the direction of the hair patterns.

FishArt likes this.
  10. Little late on this, but if you haven’t already done it, try smooth-on’s Body Double Silk. It’s a life casting silicone that has the hair release agent right in the product. I love it for how simple it is. No need for Vaseline...I use hair conditioner if I ever need anything to slick down fur or feathers.

11. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    For a plaster mold, slick down the face with a thinned slurry of Potter's Clay. When finished, wash the clay off the face.

If using Alginate, I ordinarily do not use a separator ... on other occasions I've used the Potter's Clay slurry. If you want to use something, the Potter's Clay slurry will work very well.