1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Velvet Euro

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by GP1419, Aug 7, 2019.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Our velvet season is getting close here in TN I'm getting calls on Euro mounts, I use the simmering method to do all my Euro's and sometimes the maceration process but I don't see either of them working on velvet Euro mounts, what is the best way to do a velvet Euro?

2. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

In all honesty, the best velvet I have seen was all fake. You have to send it out to be applied after the skull is cleaned. Otherwise, it is best to remove the antlers and treat them away from the skull and re attach. The velvet has to be injected with preservative and dried. Otherwise it is going to decompose, stink like hell, peel off and attract bugs. There is a lot of blood and fluid in velvet antlers and it creates a problem in cleaning the skull and not damaging the velvet.

3. akmike

akmike Member

they can be freeze dried or soak in a solution that preserves the velvet but they have to be removed preserved then reattached .I do it all the time on caribou.

4. Remove antlers and soak in denatured alcohol for 2 weeks