1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sheepskin Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Caroline59, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Caroline59

Caroline59 New Member

Hi my name is Caroline( please excuse this as I'm using voice to text) and I am tanned to Black Welsh mountain sheep skins. I used the ewe-tan-it kit. My training is in chemistry and I monitored pH pretty carefully I did however make two mistakes. I had the ewe-tan-it instructions from the kit and I was following them and then at some point during the week I printed out another set of instructions that were for ez-100 but not the sheepskin directions. Here are photos at the end after oil sweating. The two mistakes were not using neutralizing bath (I did check the pH right away in the tanner and added baking soda then, but I did not do a neutralizing bath before tanning). Also I didn't drain long enough I'm sure for all the wall to drain out liquids because the other set of directions had draining for 20 minutes not an hour. Advice appreciated, if it's not fleshed enough well I'm sorry.

Attached Files:

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

If I understand correctly, you forgot to adjust pH before the tan but did so afterwards? This will lock in the tan if done properly. Break as you normally would until the hide is a uniform softness and color.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. Caroline59

Caroline59 New Member

Thank you yes you understand correctly. I did contact Bru E Rittel a d he said the same. I'm breaking it now, can I apply more oil mix if it starts to dry too much?

4. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

I would only dampen with water as needed and continue breaking. More oil is usually a waste unless it did not absorb any at all..

5. Caroline59

Caroline59 New Member

Thank you!

6. johny5

johny5 New Member

Thanks for the info

7. Caroline59

Caroline59 New Member

The hides are not stuff but still really greasy. I used the degreaser with the kit and the wool isn't greasy just the skin. Most of the hide has turned whitish as I have worked it but it is so greasy. I guess maybe I didn't flesh enough I don't know. Just trying to figure out what to do next , if anything. Thank you.