1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Trying Again

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mooretitan, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Mooretitan

Mooretitan New Member

well last year I tried a few bird mounts and let’s say they did not turn out great. Had a good time laughing at myself but at least I got them finished. Anyways I am going to give a try again this weekend. I worked the 1st time with a couple quail and chukar. Problem I was having the most was getting this feathers to fluff back up and lay natural. I washed the birds after skinning and not sure if this had to do with it.
    So for this weekend I can try another chukar or work on a wood duck.
    Are waterfowl typically easier than upland birds

Thanks

2. I don't know about the chukar but I do know that wood ducks are very fat and the skin tears very easily especially from legs back to the tail. After you wash your bird skin do a thorough job of rinsing. Any soap left in the feathers will not allow them to fluff properly.

3. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I'm no master taxidermist but I will say many mounts would look a lot better then they do if the Feathers & Fur didn't have grease and dirt on them when mounted .a good degreasing and washing make some look brighter and fluffed up

Richard C likes this.
  4. rogerswildlife

rogerswildlife Rogers Wildlife Taxidermy Tommy Rogers

You said you" skinned and washed " did you flesh it and what did you wash it in ? Waterfowl are alot more tinder skin than a upland game bird . You have to flesh really good and wash in liquid dawn dish detergent . I wash and soak at least 3 times in dawn till the water is clear. Then rinse in plain water and let it soak for a bit . Then dry till the downey feathers are completely dry all the way . This will help the feathers fluff and lay better .
    Tommy

Fallenscale likes this.