1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fruit Flies And Dermestid Beetles

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DanielaClawson, Aug 15, 2019.

1. DanielaClawson

DanielaClawson New Member

Hello friends! This is my very first question about keeping dermestid beetles. So I got my beauties today and set them up according to the care sheet that came with them. I saw the message about not letting them come in contact with FLIES, but I live in florida and we definitely have a lot of fruit flies (the pesky little gnat things).
    Should I be worried about those? I cant find a screen mesh fine enough to keep THOSE out.
    Also, any tips on keeping the little guys happy would help :)

2. Don't feed them any more than they can eat in one day try to keep two separate colonies so if you get maggots in one you can starve them out

4. BC Boy68

BC Boy68 New Member

Hello Daniela. I also am a new member and have been reading new, as well as all the older posts on keeping Beetles. I would be very interested in how you are making out with yours over the next couple of weeks. Have you tried doubling or tripling up on your mesh?. I have read that a lot of people do that. I have not purchased mine yet but was wondering where you got yours.? Also to all the advanced bug keepers out there, any suggestions on who
    has reputable beetles for sale? I don’t want them to be infested before they get here. Also, is there anyone on the thread that uses beetles for doing Moose? Or larger game such as Caribou? I am trying to figure out how to build an enclosure that would fit these heads, as a large chest freezer will not do the job. I was thinking of building a box large enough for a moose head, and lining it with sheet metal. Has anyone heard of this method? I was just trying to think of how I could keep them from climbing out. Any ideas would be great!

5. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

The guy that does my stuff lives just down the rd from me so I deliver and pk my stuff up , that being said he had a 10’ x 16’ room , inside his pole building. In that room he has 2 - 4x4 by 2 1/2 high boxes the box’s are fiberglassed sealed kinda thing , but no tops . He does everything moose , elk , buffalo, and longhorns , remember any horned animal you must take horns off before you bug them . I know a couple things that will help , cover skulls with paper towel, keep room dark and humid , remember it’s the larvae that eats not the beetle . You can put pcs of cardboard in to feed them if you don’t have any skulls to work on . As stated above have 2 separate colonies so if one gets maggots or lice you can kill that one off and still have one going and can start your second colony back up . Hand a lot of those fly catching sticky strips to help with the fly issues, beetles can and do fly but usually don’t leave the colony. Hope that helps some .

6. BC Boy68

BC Boy68 New Member

Thank you for the info 13... yes, it totally makes sense to have two colonies going at all times. I did not though realize that they would eat cardboard! Although it probably couldn’t sustain them for very long? Another thing I didn’t realize though, was what you mentioned about keeping enclosure humid?? I thought I had read many times that humidity wasn’t good for the beetles.. I could be wrong, but want to make sure I get it right..lol
    The guy you get your skulls done at, he must have a lot of Beatles that escape? I guess if they’re not flying, they probably don’t climb up the fiberglass very well. Thank you so much for your input, everyone on these forums is in general, a wealth of information for us Newbies...

7. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I will ask him if I can give his number to you and maybe he can help you out more over the phone

8. BC Boy68

BC Boy68 New Member

Cheers....

9. Ive had a colony for many yrs , when i get a fly infeststation i simply put fly paper all over my beetle cage , it gets rid of them in a few days and any maggots that hatch out end up on the paper as well, i hang it throuout the cage as low to the ground as possible without letting it touch the ground, hope this helps