1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Other Than Breakthrough Manual?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Wally Gator, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

Hey friends,
    I am considering getting Breakthrough Waterfowl Finishing Manual for a consolidated source of paint schedules. Considering that it is quite dated and is printed black and white, is there a better publication to serve the need? I use Polytranspar colors, so it would be helpful if those colors are referenced. In the past, I have used Tony Finazzo's DVD for schedules, but a book would be more convenient.
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Wally

2. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

If you're wanting a step by step that will get you in the ballpark of the basic colors to use it's great. After a while you will probably learn to paint what colors you see from there and won't use it much.

Wally Gator likes this.

3. Joe Ferebee has a couple books out with step by step color illustrations. He doesn't use Polytranspar paints but you could figure that out. Has 18 puddle and 20 divers in two separate volumes.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  4. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

I've got them if you are interested in buying them

5. Sam 10November1775

Sam 10November1775 New Member

Who carries these books?

6. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

McKenzie has them but not as cheap as me

7. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

Message sent

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The Breakthrough manuals are quite descriptive and illustrated. If Joe's manual look anything like his prepainted heads you'd be wise to buy the Breakthrough. If you have a pc or a smart phone, you have access to millions of LIVE color references. Use them and the Breakthough color schedule and you'll be fine.

msestak likes this.
  9. Joe Ferebee is an award winning bird Taxidermist and his books are excellent! Why so negative toward a fellow Taxidermist?

10. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

I will probably buy the Breakthrough manual also. I do use live reference photos, but still need a little help achieving effect when multiple colors are involved. As stated in my original post, I have used Finazzo's videos and have learned a lot from him, but a book would be more convenient.
    Since we are speaking, I must thank you for making me aware that water-based paint issues are compounded when using a double action airbrush. I was reading through an old post where someone was having problems with paint drying in the tip, and you pointed out what probably should have been obvious to me. I recently bought a single action gravity fed brush, and can now achieve very fine detail using black water-based paint with a couple drops of retarder.
    This forum is very valuable to me.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    bucksnort10 and Wildthings like this.
  11. The Breakthrough manuals also have feet painting instruction along with a lot of info on airbrush and paint usage. I use both for bird finishing.

Wally Gator likes this.
  12. Just for your info, there are two other books that I use when painting. They are not step by step but are nice reference. Bills and Feet- An Artisans Handbook by William Veasey and Sina Patricia Kurman and The LeMASTER METHOD-WATERF0WL IDENTIFICATION by Richard LeMaster. Nice to have in your Taxidermy library.

13. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

I actually ordered The LeMASTER METHOD-WATERF0WL IDENTIFICATION by Richard LeMaster yesterday as well as North American Waterfowl by National Audubon Society Staff; Richard K. Walton. I have done acceptable work on the few species I have done thus far, but I need a good library in my shop, trusting to work on many more species this season...which is why I asked you veterans for advice.
    Thanks to all for your input.

jrandall71 likes this.
  14. if I remember Right Tony Finnazzo had a DVD on painting Waterfowl feet and heads,,, Think Joe K offered these

15. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Dave Luke also had a video on painting several species of ducks and game birds. The video was made by John Rinehart Taxidermy Supply. I don't know if it is still available, you would need to call McKenzie.