1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Air Bubbles.?

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by RichMO, Aug 18, 2019.

1. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Considering how fast epoxy sets up does anyone have a tip on eliminating those tiny air bubbles. Mold looks great ...then you paint it and bam the tiny air bubbles or pockets appear. I have some suppliers casting and there is no bubbles. But yet I'm sure the epoxy time isn't much different.????

2. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

May want to consider building a vacuum chamber. I had the same problem with some casting material. Pulled a vacuum on a small batch and it eliminated the bubble issue I was having.

joeym likes this.

3. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

When molding I've always just vibrated the heck out of the table when setting up. The bubbles will rise to the surface. I turned on my bench grinder and then also smacked the table repeatedly. Most bubbles eliminated this way.

4. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Thats an issue on two parts
    If your mold ( silicone wasn’t deglassed ) and then pressure potted you’ll have air bubbles or little spikes.
    So two things that needs to be done. Molds get vacuumed and casts should be pressure potted to end up with no air bubbles. ( works great with fast set epoxy)
    Plus to aid in slowing down your set time, place the epoxy in the fridge overnight.

5. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

Frank, I'm using epoxy from Research and it starts setting in just a couple of minutes. I didn't try a pressure pot because of the short time. I'll pop some in the freezer for awhile if that will get me some more time. Thanks

Frank E. Kotula likes this.