1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Glue To Put Forms Back Together

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Sam 10November1775, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Sam 10November1775

Sam 10November1775 New Member

Has anyone used Gorilla glue to put a cut form back together? Did it work. I have used bondo in the past but I was hoping for something a little better.

Sam

2. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Yes I have used Gorilla glue, I would put it on and then put screws in, it works fine, but I really like to use a glue gun, it is very cheap and glues really good.

3. qltycapes

qltycapes New Member

Gorilla works great as does any polyurethane glue. Most glue manufactures have a line of it, titebond, Elmer's etc. The cure time will be longer usually 24 hours, very strong bond and sandable.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm not a fan of ANYTHING that isn't 2-Part foam. Gorilla glue is a one-part epoxy activated by water. It will leave a line of hard material that can and will show up in sanding and rasping. Bonds is unreliable and also leaves a hard line.

Fallenscale and antlermike like this.
  5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Absolutely! I would never trust anything but 2 part foam to hold up the antlers on a moose or elk. Bondo can fail, never used Gorilla glue. I take a spade bit an gouge out both surfaces of the cut area (usually the center of the neck on shoulder mounts). Mix foam, drizzle over bottom half, apply top half, then hold in place with 8" screws. The screws can be removed once the foam has set.

Fallenscale likes this.
  6. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Oh yeah, I haven't done anything like that with the glue I use, it has not had any weight on it like antlers or anything. :)