1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Caping A Wild Boar

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by memorymakertaxi, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Going hog hunting,and have never caped one.With the shield I am quessing you can not cape similar to a deer.Was thinking I could cut around at the rib cage then cut up behind the legs.then cut along the side to my cut around the ribs.Then peel down and skin out the head.Is this close to being the correct method?

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’ve only skinned bout 20 or so , but I skin them same as a deer. The shield is kinda stiff but not a game changer I just roll the hide down. If your fleshing them this is where a miniflesher comes in handy , and in my eyes is the only thing a miniflesher is good for

3. Thanks for the info.

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

If you have the hog hanging from a gambrel, you will have no trouble getting it off. The weight of the skin will aid greatly in inverting the shield. Where we have problems in our shop is hogs that come in with only the skull left in the skin. Some guys pry the mouth open and slide the mouth down onto a hay spear. This way the weight of the skin aids in inverting it off the skull. I use #22 scalpel blades to skin everything. Take plenty of extra blades with you. Hope you have a great hunt!

msestak likes this.
  5. 13 point

image.jpg
    Just a what I do for that kinda thing and I skin all my heads this way , I have a small meat hook attached to a small chain but heavy enough to hold the weight , and I hook the critter thru the spinal colum so it is now suspended and I skin it off the skull . For deer , and so I get the shortest Y cut possible I hang it , skin it down to get to back of skull , I then cut the excess neck meat off at the skull neck junction, put head on work bench do my Y cut and open top of head cutting earbutts and such so I can get skin over back of skull and hang it back on hook thru the spinal canal on skull to get the head skinned off

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    joeym and msestak like this.
  6. Triple J Taxidermy

Triple J Taxidermy Active Member

Skull left in the skin is my biggest issue also.

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

0A802DBD-09BC-42A8-832B-2FE5714834B7.jpeg This is my typical setup...in the middle of the night, most times...

nemo likes this.
  8. 13 point

Got a hoist in my shop for those kinda things lol a toddler pool catches the blood