1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat Ears Do Or Don't

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by GP1419, Aug 20, 2019.

1. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Quick question, I have always used bondo on my ears on bobcats but I'm not getting the look of that real thin ear I see on a lot of y'alls mounts, I am going to use the earliners on the one I'm getting ready to mount, do y'all pull the cartilage out on the bobcats or no, I pull all cartlidge on my deer just don't want to try it on this bobcat and rip the ears apart.

2. You can use the Hendricks liners with the cartilage left in. But remember to really thin them down with a dremel or something. If those don't give you the look you want try just using critter clay in them, this works really well too.

Micah Howards likes this.

3. Triple J Taxidermy

Triple J Taxidermy Active Member

I use a softened epoxy sculp. I will say about 4 years ago I did a cat for myself and just screened the ears till they dried. Looks perfect so for.

4. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

You can use magic smooth instead of bondo. It’ll make a ultra thin ear.

pir^2h likes this.
  5. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

I would worry that there would be problems with the clay being too brittle being that it has to be relatively thin. Did you add anything to the clay like fiberglass shavings to help give it strength?

6. meat

meat Active Member

A pair of good earliners with the inner ear detail. sanded to thickness desired. use pro one hide paste. This will give you plenty of time to adjust your skin. REFERENCE!!! Get some good reference. Without reference your just guessing. CD D -  (285).JPG

Fallenscale and 3bears like this.
  7. Ear magic, string some fiberglass mat into one side.

8. I will usually mix the clay with hide paste and fiber mat,that give a little better structure. Now I have only done this will smaller cats, big cats get liners.

9. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

On tanned small game ears I use 5 min epoxy with a little fiberglass strands . Put it in push it around squeeze excess out . Very thin but very strong