1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dentured Alcohol Fuel

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Perca, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Like some others, I use denatured alcohol to store fish skins until I'm ready to mount. It's been a long time since I bought any. All I can find now is Denatured Alcohol FUEL. None of the clerks knew why FUEL is now included in the name, nor what has been added to require the term FUEL to be used. All I want is plain old denatured alcohol, and am very reluctant to use it if something has been added that will render it useless for preserving fish skins. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between denatured alcohol and denatured alcohol FUEL? Is the new stuff going to be just fine to store fish skins? Thanks for any help.

2. Its the same stuff, just added "fuel" to the name because it can be used in certain types of lamps. Well that's what the guy at Home Depot told me, I use it in a 50/50 mix w/ water.

But if your looking for another good product with great results I also use Liqua Cure by Knoblochs on fish.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.

3. Yes I googled it ,sounds like what lonewolf said,but confusing definition for sure

4. I have been using Iso alcohol for Forty yrs it dose not have all that bad stuff that will kill you in it

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019