1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Impossible To Tan Air/trapper Dried Hides?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Coyena, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Coyena

Coyena New Member

I have tanned about 10-12 hides now and I am noticing a pattern: the hides that have been air or "trapper" dried will not swell in the pickle. The skin is hard, dark, greasy, and "crispy." If I attempt to shave them with my fleshing machine, it just puts holes in the hide. The most recent one I put in today won't even rehydrate. Its just a hard folded hide sitting in the pickle. I could probably pull it out and wipe it off with a towel. I have not had this problem with salt dried or frozen hides. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this or why this is happening?
    I use Pro-1's Pro-maxx tan.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Rehydrate prior to putting it in the pickle even salt dried hides

3. Coyena

Coyena New Member

Thank you. I have tried rehydrating with Pro-1's "Artesan" rehydrator prior to putting in the pickle and I have had the same failures. The hides just will not take the pickle for some reason.

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Call pro 1 and talk to Paul if he isn’t there ask Nancy to have him call you back . He will get you straight

5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

It takes longer for air dried hides to hydrate. The bad part is any grease left on causes grease burn and is a weak area in the skin.
    Soak your hides longer and as they start to hydrate work them a bit more.
    If anything you may want to use a salt brine hydration process which I’m not a fan but it warms cause you can soak it in the brine for 48 hrs. The salt slows down the hydration.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  6. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    I think 13 point would be best to follow you will learn more then your asking now by just the conversation.

You also can try adding dawn dish soap and one ounce of household bleach for every gallon of water that will slow down bacteria growth while rehydrating don't be scare to wash the air dryer hide with dawn prior to soaking

7. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

just a matter of soaking in water till limp. millions of hides are tanned by commercial tanneries and all are air dried.properly fleshed "trapper" hides will have no grease and no slipping . buying unfleshed DRIED hides with gobs of dried fat is a no no. don`t deal with anyone selling junk like that.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Never do this. #1, it creates toxic fumes. #2, chlorine bleach raises the pH of your soak and will start the "bucking" or dehairing process quite well..

If you must get a commercial relaxer/degreaser additive that is pH neutral..

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  9. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Thank you cyclone for bringing that my information was not wise. Even though I never had any trouble with it. I'm happy for the education