1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bugs In Deer Skull

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Tyler3562, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Tyler3562

Tyler3562 New Member

I have a deer skull that keeps getting bugs. Maybe there is leftover matter inside the skull but I have cleaned and bleached the skull and even after a few weeks the bugs come back. I don't see any cartilage or leftover brain matter inside the skull. Anything I can do to get rid of them?

https://imgur.com/a/ycIYm20

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    You have something left in there. How did you clean the skull?

3. Tyler3562

Tyler3562 New Member

The skull was mostly cleaned when I got it. There was a bit of cartilage in the nose that I removed and some brain matter that I removed after boiling. Would it be best to just bury the skull for a few months and let it clean naturally for longer?

4. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    What ever bugs that are eating good it now should clean it I guess. Does it smell? Not sure you mean bury, in dirt. I wouldn't do that

5. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Place it in a bucket of water on the sunny side of a building. Seal it off, so that nothing can access it...dogs, or other predators. Leave it there a couple of months. Remove and rinse off. There will be nothing left in the skull that will attract bugs. Allow it to dry, then immerse in peroxide for a few days. Allow to dry in a warm, sunny place, and your skull will be white and bug-free.

6. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

If it has antlers make sure you cover them with black bag to keep sun off them or they will get sun bleached , you can wrap individual if need be . But yea I’d just set them outside in a safe place , secured and let the bugs have at it , check the every couple weeks but you should be good within a month .