1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How To Make A Rug Into A Softmount?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Gabrielle, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Gabrielle

Gabrielle New Member

How do you make a rug into a soft mount? Specifically a deer?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

I’m sorry I don’t get any of this soft mount and what’s it Rouge Taxidermy stuff , Taxidermy is not about making a stuffed animal like a teddy bear , it’s about bringing a beautiful creature back to its original form .

Chippers likes this.

3. Chippers

Chippers Member

I'd highly recommend against it. I've never seen an ungulate soft mount that didn't look absolutely terrible, especially the legs. It should be displayed somewhere and left alone.

4. Chippers

Chippers Member

Also, being completely honest, this site isn't a good place to ask about soft mounts in general. Try some of the Facebook groups

5. Micah Howards

Micah Howards Active Member

Okay, so yes a lot of us dislike soft mounts, but there are people that do, and if this is the way she wants to mount animals then that is her decision. I don't like soft mounts either but that doesn't mean we need to cut there work down if they like it.

tobynitch likes this.
  6. tobynitch

tobynitch New Member

This comment above is great. Soft mounts are great for beginners, it's good practice. I started in march of this year and my first project ever was a soft mount. I don't like them but it's a decent way to learn. They can be made with armature in order to keep the legs looking realistic.
    As for the rug, I wouldn't try anything else with it, but you do you : ) I'm not sure if the deer was made for a rug (there's a special way to cut pelts to be made into rugs) but if it is it wouldn't be able to be made into a soft mount.

Micah Howards likes this.