1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Many Taxidermists Should Have Sold Shoes Instead

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Aug 26, 2019.

1. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Couldn't estimate either way there. Belly is getting too big to see things even with a mirror - ha!

2. Think about getting you one of the mirriors that are wavey. You know the ones that make things look bigger :D

FishArt likes this.

3. FishArt

Funny thing is I have been looking for one of those antique circus mirrors for about a decade now! I think they're cool! I can find them online. But pricey!

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

This is not funny at all in any way , but I have to agree with the one sided story kinda thing . George 5 years ago when I moved into Goldsboro MD which is only 3/4 mile from the Delaware state line , I wanted to get involved in the Delaware Taxidermy Association and was told you were the president of it . I called you 5 times within a week and left messages each time on your recording so I know I had the right number, you never called me back , don’t no why but none of us are perfect and your probably going to say you don’t remember as it was 5 years ago , but it did happen . I just find it kinda ironic you posted this .

George likes this.
  5. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Way sad I’ve taken time off from my duties to aid another trying to learn, I didn’t ask to be paid for helping but was never ask can I pay you for your time cause you lost a days wage helping me. Lol
    It’s all over folks are just shameful. I love helping folks out as I always want them to improve so we all can make more money
    Just my two cents

FishArt likes this.
  6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not everyone with the disease shows the same symptoms. I spent 60 years playing with dead animals, working out of my basement, never considering the real expenses, charging less than I should, embellishing mounts without charging, begging clients to pick up work, and making excuses for sorry customers. I taught dozens of people only to have them badmouth me later even though I never charged them a dime and often fed them my food. I never mistreated a single one but if you think I'm excluding myself from being one of you dumbasses, you'd better reread what I just wrote.

7. George

Glenn, nothing was "embellished". In fact I omitted a lot. I got a call from a well respected taxidermist this morning who linked the pieces together and told me I had no clue as to what a worthless POS this guy is. Seems he reads here and wasted little time texting threats to this woman. If you think stories about unscrupulous taxidermists need to be "embellished", you need to get out of your shop and look around. I not only know many of the stories, I know where the bodies are buried.

8. paul mullins

paul mullins New Member

sometimes you have to improvise borrow ideas cheers

9. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Thanks George, I'm not sure if it is the Morgan cokes or not but that made me laugh. All I can say is go get him. He sounds like a bigger asshole than you or I.

George likes this.
  10. George

13 point, I have no doubt you called but if your time frame is correct, I was not in my shop for almost a year. I had another taxidermist fill in and work from my shop. In April, I was hospitalized for over a month from radical back surgery and was only able to move freely in July. At the same time, my wife was entered into hospice and passed away in mid November. The DTA had been defunct since 2012 and was likely why my friend never called you.

By the way, I never served as the DTA president. I and my friend did 99.9% of the work getting show venues, judges, and awards. We burned out and just quit with a -$250 deficit in the treasury I ate. I'm no saint but I dont lie, cheat or steal. Had I been available, anyone who knows anything about me knows that I would have returned your call.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  11. George

That's hard to believe, isn't it???? LMAO

Frank E. Kotula and 3bears like this.
  12. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

That’s pretty big!! Frighteningly big!
    Hard to wrap my brain around that statement.

13. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

The best and absolutely the best part of the DTA was meeting George and spending time with him and his lovely wife ( resting in peace) and being treated to meals that no restaurant could ever do!
    The hospitality in plain words is that there are no words.
    Folks may bitch and moan about this man and that’s only cause you never go to know him as a person and not a writer on the net!!!

GWebb and magicmick like this.
  14. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

It was 5 years ago so that would explain it , sounds like you had a pretty rough year at that time . Sorry for your loss and very understandable now the reason for no call back . Not sure who gave me your number , I’m sorry you had to put money out of your pocket to try and keep the DTA going as I know small state associations are tough to get working members . Thanks for setting this straight. One last thing is there a DTA now and if so who would the contact person be , if so do you have a # . Thanks again

George likes this.
  15. FishArt

16. George

Shortly before I gave it up, J.R. Campbell died suddenly. When I quit, I gave everything to another member who voiced his concern. That was the last I heard. I'm not aware of anyone stepping up.

17. This industry is certainly odd. Over the years I have done work for other taxidermist. Been stiffed by several of them. Yea pack up and get out of dodge. Oh they always had an excuse for not paying. I even warned others about the non paying aholes. but seems everyone has to learn the hard way.

I spent some money and had one taxidermist served with court papers, sure got his attention.

I thank God I dont have to deal with ahole taxidermist anymore.

18. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

You're going to run into bad people in every industry it's not just taxidermists, She needs to move on , put it behind her and look for another place to work. There are a ton of large studios especially here in Texas that are needing workers who will show up and put in a full days work.

Kerby Ross likes this.
  19. grumpa

grumpa Member

Jerry, There's the key. "will show up and put in a full days work" The lady taxidermist who's bitching has been known to gab and only putty 2 deer heads in a day. There's 2 sides to every story. And good reliable help is always hard to find in almost all professions these days.

20. mislynx

mislynx Member

I can't get anyone to teach me small mammal taxidermy or even go with me to trap them! mislynx 12323.jpg