1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pheasant Head Question??

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Cacklerslayer, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Cacklerslayer

Cacklerslayer New Member

Oregon
    I have a couple roosters I shot last season and want to attempt to mount them. I am not sure how to go about doing the heads on them and the process of doing the wattles!?? How do you guys go about them. I have done lots of waterfowl and I make my own heads but from what I've gathered, roosters are completely different. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 20190826_180642.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    I like the pheasant heads from Matuska, fall wattles. Skin them like a duck, cut around the beak, peeling the skin back. You have to split the wattles. with a little practice , it isn't that hard. Once you have it skinned you can see a line where the upper and lower wattle are. Cut along that with your finger on the outside until it is open completely. We all mess up now and again and cut holes. Don't worry too much about them. I use clear caulk as an adhesive on bird heads. it will ooze out of any holes just clean it up with soapy water.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019

3. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

"wattles".....ducks waddle

4. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    OK, Richard Cranium, ;) I corrected it. I didn't think it looked right but I was tired and just went with it.

bucksnort10 likes this.
  5. Cacklerslayer

Cacklerslayer New Member

Oregon
    My bad too lol I didn't even realize I spelt it that way.

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

Ha ha.
    The shoe is on the other foot now.

Wildthings likes this.
  7. RichMO

RichMO Active Member

I think I need to learn English all over again....watdles... Anyway took a class with Kent Reedy about month ago for spring wattles and was surprised by several things. No caulk was one thing in over 90% of the head.

8. Crittrstuffr

Crittrstuffr Member

McKenzie sells a foam neck - head insert I've used for years with good results. You can take your finger up the neck to the head a loosen the skin up enough to invert the head without an incision. Invert over the head and trim the skull at the beak leaving the beak attached to the skin. Wash and dry your bird after defatting and slip the insert in and place your finger in the mouth to help to get the foam head-neck in. I have it wired to the body already slide the neck down and insert the body and proceed with the mounting. I also trim the beak area on the form flat with a pair of scissors so it conforms to the head better. Hot glue the eyes in place prior to installing the head. Nice part is you can pin the skin in place easily. Just my way good luck