1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beginner Help Applying Clear Coat

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Phish90, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Phish90

Phish90 New Member

Hello all, I recently started painting fish reproductions and need some help. I will apologize in advance for the beginner questions. I am very new to this but just finished my first blue gill using polytranspar lacquer based paints and a cheap airbrush kit. It wasn't great but wanted to go through with all the steps anyway just for practice. I bought a can of Super Fish Gloss to clear coat it. As soon as I began spraying gloss, my paint smeared and all my detail was erased. What am I doing wrong here? Are these product compatible? What is ideal time to allow paint to dry? Did I apply the gloss improperly, too thick maybe? Is there another step in sealing the paint that I am missing? Is there a more beginner friendly product out there? Any help is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    No matter what gloss I use I always start with a dry flash coat or 2 let them dry for a spell in between coats and then hit it with one good wet coat.

silverwings likes this.

3. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

FYI, "flash" means to whisk a mist of the gloss over the fish, let it dry, and repeat a time or two before laying it on. I used aerosol glosses for years, and in our humidity, I frequently had "milky" areas on my fish. It is sad to see a good detail paint job melt away. I know I will be blasted again, but I began to use Enviro-Tex (ET) about 10 years ago. It's a two part brush on, and it is very messy, but produces the wettest looking gloss possible. ET will not melt away any type of paint. The "flash" that is used on it is to whisk the fish with a propane torch a time or two to remove the bubbles. It really puts on a shine after this. Drying time is 12-24 hours.

rogerswildlife likes this.
  4. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

Sounds like too heavy of clear at one time. Like 3bears said dust 1-2 coats on first letting them flash in-between then you can go heavier with your final coats.

5. Gary R

Gary R Active Member

And if it's a colder month, I like to warm up the fish with a hair dryer a little bit, BEFORE your first flash coat. Then flash it.

rogerswildlife and jrandall71 like this.
  6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Anytime of the year warm your fish up. It’ll help stop your fish turning white due to humidity.
    Also as stated above use 3-4 flash coats and make sure it’s dry before a heaver coat is put on.

rogerswildlife and joeym like this.
  7. jimss

jimss Active Member

It's a lot better to play it safe than sorry! I mist hardly any gloss and let it dry for several hours before misting a 2nd time. . Make sure you don't spray on too much....even your later coats! As mentioned above a hair dryer works well after you spray on your different coats to get rid of the milky color.

8. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Albeit I use flash coats, after I went with an automotive clear coat a lot of issues I had no longer occurred.

JL likes this.