1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salmon Fins

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by drwalleye, Aug 27, 2019.

1. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

On the middle belly fins on trout and salmon, there are these mini fins? ( don't know what they are called)that are about a 1 1/2" long and skinny I was wondering what the correct way to do these are. Can I let them dry out and then build them up with a few layers of fin glue? I tried to cast them out of bondo once and they didn't look that great. some guys just tell me to cut them off because they look weird and most people don't even know they are there. Any advice would be great Thanks !

2. Fallenscale

Fallenscale Active Member

NY
    Are you talking about the pelvic fins one in front of the anal fin?

3. They are called a fin guard according to my reference and you can rebuild them with any of the two part epoxies just as you would the adipose fin.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    JL and drwalleye like this.
  4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yes, there's that extra piece of "skin" dangling from the backside/base of the pelvics on Salmon and Trout. Personally, when I use to do Skin mounts I would do exactly what you said. Leave them and let dry and build up with epoxy from what is left...

drwalleye likes this.
  5. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

yes and attached to the body just above the fins are those skinny fins?

6. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

So I don't need to cut them off then ,just use then as a support to build up around them? I did one a few weeks ago and I tried 4 or 5 layers of fin glue and that actually worked well but im wondering if there would be leftover grease in them would it bleed through the glue versis the apoxi? Thanks

7. FishArt

I
    Assuming you've properly degreased your whole fish skin, you are fine. There is very little, if any grease in those tiny little pieces of skin. If what's left after drying is strong enough to build upon I would go for it. Sometimes just leaving them is fine too depending on the size of the fish and how much shrinkage. Unless you're talking comps. For commercial apps, no problem. And I can see why some cut them off. They're oftentimes tucked to the body and hard t see. So, very few customers would miss them I think...

8. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

Ok thanks.i skinned and fleshed him and then let it soak for 3 hours in Dawn soap.i hope that's ok as for degreasing.or would you have any other suggestions? Thanks again very helpful

9. FishArt

I probably did a bit overkill on greasy salmon and trout. But, I did a lot of big, greasy Lake Michigan fish. But, I would degrease in Mineral Spirits overnight. Acetone works too. Then, clean up with cold water and Dawn soak/rinse before going in the Denatured Alcohol and water for a few days for preservation and more degreasing. Soak skin in cold water for an hour or so before mounting up...

JL likes this.
  10. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

They are called the axillary process. I cut them off and build new ones out of epoxy sculpt.

Mudbat, JL, CCarlson and 3 others like this.
  11. FishArt

Why not just build upon what's there Bill? seems like more work to attach and build upon something else???

12. drwalleye

drwalleye Member

when you did the overnight soak in mineral spirits can it be reused many times after for other fish or does it pull out too much junk that its limited to a one time use?

13. FishArt

Good question. I had it in a 5 gallon bucket and I cut out a metal screen to fit the bottom but with a little excess metal to cut little half inch "tabs" all around for the screen to stand a half inch off the bottom. All the goo collects at the bottom. And I would use the MS til it started to stink. Perhaps a few years with my limited volume of maybe 40 skins a year. Just make sure you don't leave your skins in there more than overnight or perhaps 24 hours. MS is a solvent and it will begin to break down your skin if left in there for days plus. I only did overnight with big greasy salmon and trout. A few hours is all that is necessary with most warmwater skins..

14. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

I've cut off those axillary fins on all my skin mounted salmon and trout and rebuilt them out of epoxy as I attached the dried fins and rebuilt the fin bases. I know most people don't know they're there but I know they were there when the fish was alive and that's what I want to see when it leaves the shop. I de-grease with Denatured Alcohol for a couple of days then re-hydrate in cold, soapy water until the skin softens then rinse and mount. You can leave a fish skin in DA almost forever as long as the DA doesn't evaporate away and you can reuse it several times.Use a shelf to keep the grease and oil on the bottom like Marty does.

Frank E. Kotula likes this.
  15. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

Do any of you guys use phenolic acid?

16. Clew

Clew Help a child, Build our future

I have only meet four folks using it
    CL