1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Waterfowl Bald Spots

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Zach Sieg, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Zach Sieg

Zach Sieg New Member

Anyone have any advice or tricks on taming the feathers on the back of mosh puddle ducks neck? I’ve been doing waterfowl Taxidermy for
    Several years and I have encountered there several times. It seems most puddle ducks I work on have a bald spot and very whispy feathers around where the base of their neck meets the back, especially green wings and mallards. Thanks in advance

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Guess your using the real bill and skull , if you went to artificial or cast heads you wouldn’t have that issue . I’m sure you understand why .

3. Zach Sieg

Zach Sieg New Member

I don’t think the bill has anything to do with the feathers in question, the ones I am referring to are on the body between the base of the neck and the scaps

Attached Files:

4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Man I’m sorry , guess I had a brain fart , for some reason I was thinking back of skull and neck junction. I’ve had the issue your talking bout with young birds and early season birds

5. Zach Sieg

Zach Sieg New Member

All good I could see where there could be some confusion which is why I included the picture. Anyways, glad to know it’s not just me!