1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cleaning Beetle House

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by jason crozier, Sep 2, 2019.

1. jason crozier

jason crozier New Member

Hoping to clean my beetle container out, Frass and byproduct are getting too thick. What’s the most efficient way to do such a task?
    Obviously with as little waste of beetles as possible.
    I’ve read some old posts but was wondering if there’s a simple or better way to ensure no wasted larva.
    Thanks

2. jason crozier

jason crozier New Member

Still looking for a tried and true method to do this job while not decimating half my colony.
    Someone must have successfully done this before
    I’m all ears and would like to hear your ideas

3. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

All you can do is bait and trap them in containers until you tire of this process. It will take several days of trapping to reduce the numbers of adults and larvae. You are going to lose tons of eggs and small ones, regardless of your best efforts.

4. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

As Joey said, bait into containers and remove them that way. You can scoop out half of your frass and put it into another bin and spread it out. Bait any larva/adults out of that and put them back into the original container. You will still lose a lot of eggs unless you somehow rig the second container to allow the eggs to hatch before you throw it all away.

5. jason crozier

jason crozier New Member

Thanks for the insight. Looks like that may be the only way to do it. Bait and switch and keep doing it until it gets tiring.

6. What i do is put a fresh skull in the cage when its covered take it out so you initially get a bunch out then i use a fishtank screen over a tote and pour a little at i time on it and shake it so the small debris feces etc falls through then dump the beetles into a holding tank, keep repeating till you sift all of it, ive been doing this method for many yrs, i usually do it annualy, once you put your setup bact together the beetles kick back in about 2 days

7. jason crozier

jason crozier New Member

What’s the size of the mesh on the screen you use?
    I’ve found a video on utube where they use heat lamps to force them down a funnel into a holding container. I like your idea and will try it and then what’s left I’ll try the heat lamp to try save the small ones that fell through the screen

8. I dont know what size screen it is but if you PM me with your num i will take a pic of the fish tank screen then mabe you can find it online,

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Screen cover to use on a fish tank to keep reptiles in it?

10. I dump a cup of frass into a strainer and strain into the bucket. Works great