1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Featured John Lager ~ 1940–2019

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ken Edwards, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Ken Edwards

Ken Edwards Taxidermy.Net Administrator Staff Member

john_lager-697.jpg
    John Lager of Littleton, Colorado passed away on September 1, 2019 after a long illness. He was a brilliant taxidermist, active in the Colorado Taxidermist Association as well as the National Taxidermists Association. He won the NTA's Best All-Around Taxidermist award a record nine times.
    Lager_09_03.jpg

2. RIP

3. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I would see John at the nationals all the time and he would clean up in the best all around all the time. So much to the point that he would scare fellow taxidermists from entering that category. He did a great job on everything . Loved Mt Goats.
    RIP John

Skywalker likes this.
  4. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

A great man! Friend, artist, genius.

5. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    I always enjoyed John's company at the show, even when his walleyes were beating my fish. RIP John. Day news, for sure.

6. Rest in peace.

7. Carolin Brak-Dolny

Carolin Brak-Dolny Active Member

John was an interesting man to talk to. I remember something about him fixing his own tooth with apoxie sculpt. He sure was good at making black squirrels and white goats. RIP

8. Robert Schmac

Robert Schmac New Member

I went to the world show with John in the early Eighties, not sure the year. John , Gary Greber and myself jumped in Johns Van and headed to Kansas. John mounted a pair of whitetail deer heads locked up fighting. I brought a poorly mounted marmot on a crude dirt base to be entered in the Novice division. My mount was sitting on an elevated bed above johns deer heads, when we arrived we discovered the dirt from my base had sprinkled over his deer heads the entire ride from Colorado. needless to say John was not happy with me and my marmot mount. I believe John still got a ribbon on his mount. RIP John

9. Pikeonthefly

Pikeonthefly Active Member

I dropped off my first northern pike. At 24" it was a trophy to me. John mounted this in a pedestal position suspended above the rocks held in place by a couple of thin reeds. He entered this in a show and won. I dropped off 2 more browns and one rainbow shortly after and then caught my first 30" pike which he mounted and I still have. Just as perfect today as they were the day he finished them. At this time he was working out of his basement. His wife must be something special to have allowed him to do so. I think running his business out of his basement inspired me in a way because it proved that you didn't have to have a huge studio or workshop to turn out quality and rank amongst the best. You just had to have the talent. Which he did. I was saddened to see this post. He was a great taxidermist and a great guy and I know he made a difference in his community during the Columbine tragedy. I was blessed to have met him.