1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Potters Clay?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dwb5, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Does Hobby Lobby or anywhere like this sell a potters clay ? Just to use for earbutts and skull caps.

2. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

Yes

But in my opinion I only use critter clay for earbutts, Less shrinkage and better detail with no drumming .

Plus hide paste adheres to Cclay better also , so make sure you put paste on between the clay and hide to inhanse details .

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019

3. Dwb5

Dwb5 Member

Ok. Thanks for the advice. I may try the critter clay on the next one and see if I like it.

4. GP1419

GP1419 Member

Hobby Lobby does sell potters clay, I use it for skull caps and ear butts, I only use critter clay on the eyes, but I can't tell any difference in the shrinkage especially on ear butts and skull caps, maybe just a touch on the eyes.

5. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

critter clay is way over ratted

6. WLELTD

WLELTD Active Member

rated

7. 3bears

3bears Well-Known Member

MN
    Hobby lobby clay works good for most places that critter clay is used

8. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I didn't notice any shrinkage or cracking with the clay I bought at Hobby Lobby.

9. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

The last few years I had big problems with mold with critter clay. I started cuttting it up and freezing it in small batches. Never had to do that before.

10. Ive bought ever clay ever listed in a catalog, at one time or another, several times over. I dont think There is enough difference, to fret over it.
    I have even rolled up worm size. Pieces of different brands just to compare the difference in shrinkage when dry , if there was it wasn't delectable with the eyes.
    I dont care for Critter clay simply because of the chalkey dry feeling residue it leaves on my hands even while your still working with it.
    James Taxidermy sells one called Clean Clay, Its my 1st choice, drys fast, very fast, which i like. And no residue on my hands. Yes i've bought several cases of hobby lobbys clay. When i just happen to go in one. Its just not convenient for me at 35 miles away. But It works just fine.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019
  11. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use potters clay (Alligator Clay 100) for ear butts and setting the eye into the orbit, in mammal feet, and as a filler on defects in mannikins. A local supplier sells it for $21.40 per 50 lb box if I buy 10 boxes at a time. This will last us a year. I do use Critter Clay for upper and lower eyelids, but will try the Clean Clay from James.

12. Wildthings

Wildthings Well-Known Member

Be sure to use the 40% off coupon on your phone for Hobby Lobby

13. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry, but I'm not much into that "quick drying" mode for taxidermy work. I'm adjusting eyes and ear butts for several days after the hide is stapled down. I especially like day 2 or 3 for cutting in final details. I always used potters clay for the earbutts but "cost" was my last concern when it came to eye work. (If that's a big issue to you, then obviously you aren't charging enough for your mounts.) I NEVER used clay on my antler mounts. It is absolutely too frangible. I once used papier mache but found it to be less than I desired. I went to Bondo with Cabosil and never looked back. Within an 30 minutes after sculpting the warm Bondo, I could paint it with hide paste, install the leather cap, trim it with decorative rope, put it on a panel and have it on the wall within 2 hours of starting it.

rogerswildlife, msestak, Dwb5 and 3 others like this.
  14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I still use mache on antler mounts, but I cover it with polyfil matting, stapled to the backboard immediately after it sets, Never used Cabosil...it will be on my next order!

msestak likes this.
  15. George clean clay dries fast but its not magic, its not rock hard over night.
    The next day (2) its in that perfect state. I desire. Soft enough to except working in detail, firm enough I'm not concerned with it moving. Day 3. To dry, adjust with out some rehydration. Actually if I dont have it where I want or looking as I want on day 2 , I'm never gonna get there truley . As you and I know all to well life happens. If by chance. I'm pulled away from the shop I'm not concerned with any thing moving. Here latley, with my ankel and, other issues thats been happening more than I dam sure want it too.
    I 100% agree with your $ statement, but I may have missed it somewheres, I didnt see $ being, brought up as a issue.

Im all polyfil matting or cotten batten on antlers mounts. On the wall in two hours or less also. But we pour our own antler mounts

msestak likes this.
  16. pir^2h

pir^2h Retrievers give you the bird

Call me uninformed (maybe even dumb!) but I don't think I have heard of this. Could someone enlighten me on it?

msestak likes this.
  17. jrandall71

jrandall71 Member

It's a silica powder used to thicken resin or paint. Kinda like highfiber.

msestak likes this.
  18. I new a lady taxidermist back in the early 80s got her clay out of a ditch bank.
    I guess it worked for her.
    Early 80s , I sure remember buying dry and mixing that crap and pounding it into square bricks to that just right consistency. I guess just about everbody did. Never again here !!!!!
    Along With 25.00 deer forms 10.00 shipping. Getting new catalogs with, "get this," NO PRICE increases, only new additions .
    The good ol days ha!

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

When I first started we got our out of a highway embankment. Near us was RED CLAY and one of the local guys used it. He kept wondering why sometimes his hair turned pink.

20. George, I bet you remember Chandlers mankins too. All theses youngsters would probably pass out seeing a hollow deer manking.
    You know it still seems to be a good idea , to reduse cost.

msestak, joeym and George like this.